In an age where people concentrate so much on what’s going into their bodies, what about what we put on the outside? The health industry puts a huge emphasis on food and exercise, with skin care often being an are which is overlooked. But the truth is your favourite beauty products could actually be harming your health as they’re loaded with harmful chemicals such as parabens and sulfates which have been linked to an array of health problems from cancer and respiratory problems to impaired thyroid function and the most annoying part is these ingredients are infact completely unnecessary!
Let’s be honest, finding make up and skin care products that work with your skin and that you love is hard enough, let alone when you’re trying to make everything vegan, organic, natural, paraban and sulfate free. The unfortunate truth is that sourcing natural beauty products is a lot harder than switching to a natural diet but I do think that we should all make an effort to be more conscious of the products that we’re using, how they’re sourced and the effects that they have on our bodies. And at the end of the day, you don’t need a load of added chemicals in order to get your body looking and feeling great! One day I hope that I will be able to say that the whole of my beauty product collection is completely natural but for now, I will admit that as much as I love my coconut oil and salt deodorant, I’m still a sucker for a MAC lipstick and an Urban Decay palette.
- Coconut Oil is such a multi-tasking product in both the kitchen and bathroom, so much so that I keep two jars; one for cooking and the other for a myriad of beauty uses. I use coconut oil daily to remove my make up, simply by massaging a small amount directly onto my face – it removes almost every trace of dirt whilst moisturising and hydrating at the same time. And the best part is that no matter how much I get into my eyes, it doesn’t leave me feeling as if they’re being incinerated and any product that manages to do that is instantly a winner for me. Coconut Oil is also a staple in my hair care routine; on the morning of the day when I’m going to wash my hair, I massage a generous handful of coconut oil from roots to tips and leave in all day, before rinsing out with my favourite natural shampoo and conditioner. It really helps to fight the frizz and leaves my hair feeling soft and silky and trust me on days when I don’t do it, I really live to regret it.
- Burts Bee’s Soap Bark and Chamomile Deep Cleansing Cream I think that properly cleansing your skin is so important, so just washing it once definitely doesn’t cut it for me! For my second cleanse, I opt for this thick and creamy cleansing cream which thanks the soap bark removes all traces of dirt, make up and excess oil without over drying the skin whilst the chamomile and aloe vera gently soften the skin and the menthol helps to cool and soothe, thus reducing redness and improving the skins overall complexion!
- Pure Chimp Natural Soap With just 7 ingredients and an amazing subtle banana scent, you really can’t complain when it comes to this soap! It’s become a staple in my beauty routine; I use it to wash my face first thing in the morning or as a final cleanse in the evening and it leaves my skin super soft and breakout free.
- Origins GinZing Refreshing Eye Cream I absolutely adore this eye cream – it has a slight pink colouring which helps to brighten the eye area and also de puffs, leaving your eyes looking bright and refreshed (even if I don’t always feel it).
- Origins GinZing Energy Boosting Moisturiser Along with the eye cream, I’m also a huge fan of the accompanying moisturiser which is supercharged by legendary skin boosting ingredients such as ginseng and coffee beans to help create a healthy glow, without leaving the skin feeling greasy.
- Crazy Rumours Lip Balm Lip balm is a staple beauty product for me so when I decided that I wanted to incorporate more natural beauty products into my regime, this was the first thing I went to change. And as it turns out, natural lip balms are actually quite widely available but the problem is their often not vegan as they contain beeswax. The crazy rumors range however is completely vegan and stocks a range of flavours from amaretto and mocha to bubblegum and even lemonade! It wasn’t hard to make the switch when they smell (and taste…) so good and leave my lips feeling smooth and moisturised.
- Noughty ‘To The Rescue’ Shampoo and Conditioner Hair products are probably one of the worst culprits when it comes to containing harmful ingredients as they’re loaded with petrochemicals, parabens, sulfates and silicones – but you won’t find any of those in Noughty’s products! What I love most about these hair products is their incredible sent, coupled with the ability to leave my hair feeling shiny and strong. As they’re free from sulfates, they don’t foam up as much as regular shampoo does but when it reduces the risk of cancer, liver, kidney and central nervous system problems, I can definitely cope with that.
- Epsom and Himalayan Bath Salts We all like to take some time out for ourselves and have a relaxing bath every once in a while and to make the experience even more luxurious I love to add a handful of bath salts – my favourites being Epsom and Himalayan. Whilst your usual bath salts might smell amazing, in reality they possess little to no benefits whereas Epsom salts help to relax tired aching muscles, relieve constipation, eliminate toxins from the body and Himalayan salts lower blood pressure, increase hydration, balance electrolytes and contribute towards a proper energy yielding metabolism – for all of the pampering with no added nasties!
- Ecodenta Black Charcoal Toothpaste When it comes to dental products, I’m a sucker for anything that claims to be whitening but I never thought that I would be able to find a natural alternative. That was until I came across charcoal toothpaste – the charcoal acts as a natural teeth whitener and also helps fight bacteria, thus reducing the build up of plaque and tartar. This fluoride free alternative has helped to keep my teeth whiter than any traditional toothpaste and although is a little weird using a black toothpaste at first there’s really no room to complain when the whitening effects are so good!
- Salt of the Earth Spray Deodorant If there’s one product in your beauty routine that you’re going to switch for a natural alternative, then definitely make it your deodorant. Whilst traditional deodorants are loaded with harmful chemicals such as aluminium and triclosan – which have been linked to causing breast cancer, Alzheimers and disruption of the endocrine system, this natural alternative is made using just 9 ingredients, is 100% natural, vegan and yes – it does stop you from sweating, without drying out your underarms or leaving those pesky white stains on your clothes!
What are your favourite natural beauty products? Leave them in the comments below or let me know on Instagram @nourishingyas x