What better way to celebrate the fact that it’s National Chocolate Week and the fact that Halloween is only a matter of days away than with this decadent chocolate pumpkin spice latte breakfast bowl?!
Pumpkin spice latte season is well and truly upon us but being the chocolate addict that I am, I couldn’t resist adding some cacao powder in to this recipe too! It definitely doesn’t taste like it, but this recipe is packed full of the most nourishing ingredients and unlike the traditional pumpkin spice beverages that you’ll find on the high street, contains a fraction of the amount of sugar and is naturally sweetened with banana and pumpkin puree. There’s also an extra nutritional boost from the superfood energy mix (which I find that I definitely need in the morning) along with 22g of protein from the silky chocolate protein powder. This hearty breakfast bowl boasts a rich chocolate flavour with hints of spice from the cinnamon, ginger, turmeric and nutmeg whilst the pumpkin puree creates the most luxurious texture but of course the most important part is the toppings! Whilst I’m unashamedly guilty of adding raw brownies, cake and cookies to my nice cream, granola and fresh fruit are great options too. However you choose to top it, this autumnal breakfast definitely makes waking up on the cold dark mornings a whole lot more bearable.
Ingredients (Serves 1)
- 1 frozen banana
- 1/2 cup frozen courgette
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- tbsp cacao powder
- scoop of vega vero chocolate vegan protein*
- tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp turmeric
- tsp maca
- tsp vega vero superfood energy mix*
- 1 espresso shot, cooled (or sub instant ground coffee, to taste)
- almond milk, as required
- Add all of the ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth, scraping down the sides as needed. Start with 2 tbsp of almond milk, adding more in small amounts if required. But remember, patience is key here; don’t be tempted to add lots more liquid in order for it to blend quicker, as this will alter the texture of the nice cream.
- Serve and add your toppings of choice, I love homemade granola, nut butters, tahini, chopped dates, fresh or frozen berries and even raw brownies.
If you make this, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram @nourishingyas x
*This post contains products which were sent to me for free, but all opinions remain my own.