Now that the weathers getting colder I definitely notice a switch in my food choices, especially when it comes to breakfast; whilst I would usually opt for frozen berries as a topping on bowls of nice cream, I find myself craving porridge more (quite frankly I need it to warm myself up!) with warm berries and nut butter. And nothing makes a breakfast more autumnal than a good fruit compote. In this combination, the bitterness of the rhubarb is complimented perfectly by the sweetness from the apple and berries with hints of spice from the cinnamon and ginger. I love this compote dolloped on nice cream, a warming bowl of chocolate oats or my favourite: thickly spread on toast with lashings of nut butter.
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 6 apples (I used gala)
- 3 stalks of rhubarb
- 100g frozen blueberries
- 100g frozen raspberries
- tbsp coconut oil
- heaping tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- tsp sweetener of choice (I used a mix of maple syrup and coconut sugar)
- Chop the apples into small cubes and the rhubarb into 1cm thick pieces.
- Melt the coconut oil over a low heat in a large frying pan.
- Add the apples and rhubarb to the pan along with the spices and sweetener and cook for 6-10 minutes until the fruit is beginning to soften.
- Once the fruit is beginning to soften, reduce the heat to low and add the frozen berries. Stir gently until combined but be careful not to over stir so that the fruit remains in tact.
- Leave to simmer for 50 minutes until thickened, stirring every 5 minutes or so to ensure that it doesn’t stick to the pan.
- Remove from the heat and leave to cool fully before transferring to an airtight container and storing in the fridge. It will keep well here for up to 5 days but I like to freeze mine in individual portions so that it lasts longer. Remove from the freezer to thaw before serving and re heat in a saucepan.
- Serve as desired – my favourite ways are served warm on porridge, thickly spread on toast with nut butter or served cold on nice cream.
If you make this, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram @nourishingyas x