You can bet that I’ll find as many ways to add nut butter to my breakfast as possible, and sneaking it into granola is my new favourite. Granola is one of the things that I enjoy making most; whilst it requires little time and effort, it makes mornings extra special and this is quite possibly my favourite combination yet. The crunchy baked rolled oats and seeds are paired with soft chewy dates, with the caramel flavour provided by the blend of cinnamon and coconut sugar, whilst the roasted peanuts add an extra depth of flavour and crunch – this is the ultimate indulgent granola recipe.
- 2 cups rolled oats (gluten free if necessary)
- 1/2 cup unsalted peanuts
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1 cup medjool dates
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- 3 tbsp peanut butter
- tbsp coconut sugar
- tsp cinnamon
- Pre heat the oven to gas mark 4 and line one small and one large baking tray with greaseproof paper.
- Add the peanuts to the smaller of the two trays and place in the centre of the oven for 5-8 minutes until golden brown and fragrant. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
- In a small pan, melt the coconut oil over a low heat.
- Add the oats and seeds to a large mixing bowl and mix well.
- Once the oil has melted, add the peanut butter, coconut sugar and cinnamon to the pan and stir over a low heat until fully combined.
- Pour the liquid over the dry ingredients and mix well, ensuring that everything is coated.
- Add the granola to the baking tray and bake for 20-25 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes to ensure that it bakes evenly and doesn’t burn. Meanwhile, chop the dates in to small chunks. Add the peanuts to the blender and blitz for a couple of seconds until broken down.
- Remove from the oven when golden brown and fragrant and leave to cool fully before mixing in the peanuts and dates before transferring to an airtight container, it will keep well here for up to a month.
- Serve as desired! It’s delicious alone with chilled almond milk, sprinkled on nut butter toast, blitzed in a smoothie or my favourite – generously scattered over nice cream with lashings of nut butter and frozen raspberries.
If you make this, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram @nourishingyas x