Going meat free doesn’t mean that you have to ditch the burgers – in fact there’s nothing I enjoy more than a good vegan burger and as much as I love my sweet potato and crunchy peanut butter burgers, this recipe might just be my new favourite variation.
These hearty burgers pack in way more nutrients than your average beef burger ever could; they are bursting with flavour from the coriander and spices, vitamins from the veggies and plant protein from the chickpeas, all brought together with an extra depth of flavour from a secret ingredient – peanut butter. These are perfect sandwiched in a nutty bun with mashed avocado, a thick layer of creamy hummus and a side of sweet potato wedges for the ultimate weeknight supper.
Ingredients (makes 4)
- 150g sweetcorn
- 1 x 400g tin chickpeas (240g when drained)
- 1 small red onion
- 30g coriander
- 30g buckwheat flour
- 2 tbsp salted peanut butter (I like pip and nut or mani life)
- 1 tsp each cumin, mild chilli powder and paprika
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- Pre heat the oven to gas mark 5 and line a baking tray with grease proof paper.
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas before adding to the blender with the onion, coriander, spices and 75g sweet corn. Blitz until fully combined – you still want the mix to be a little chunky, not totally smooth.
- Transfer to a large mixing bowl and mix in the remaining corn, flour and peanut butter.
- Once mixed, divide the mixture in to four and using your hands, shape into burgers and place them on the baking tray.
- Place in the oven and cook for 30 minutes, flipping over halfway through to ensure that they cook evenly.
- Serve alongside a salad, roasted veggies or in a buddha bowl – but my favourite is in a homemade nutty bun with a thick layer of mashed avocado, creamy hummus, crunchy peanut butter and a side of cinnamon, paprika and coconut sugar roasted sweet potato wedges.
- I like to freeze the leftover burgers and they keep well for up to 3 months. To re-heat, simply thaw in the fridge then place in foil in the center of the oven for 20 minutes or enjoy cold
If you make these don’t forget to tag me on Instagram @nourishingyas x