I love experimenting with new granola combinations – as soon as one batch is finished, I’m baking another and this latest variation is my new favourite. I’ve put a twist on the classic chocolate and coconut combination, by adding a subtle coffee flavour which is sure to make your breakfast that little bit more indulgent.
I’ve mixed crunchy baked oats with pumpkin seeds, buttery pecans and the sharpness from the cacao and coffee contrasts perfectly with the sweetness from the blend of cinnamon, maple and chunks of gooey dates – it makes the perfect accompaniment for a big bowl of chocolate protein nice cream or simply enjoyed alone with a splash of almond milk.
- 2 cups rolled oats (gluten-free if necessary)
- 1/2 cup pecans
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- tbsp coconut almond butter (or sub nut butter of choice)
- heaping tbsp little’s island coconut infused flavour coffee
- tbsp cacao powder
- 1.5 tbsp maple syrup
- 0.5 tsp cinnamon
- 0.5 tbsp coconut sugar
- 200g medjool or deri dates
- 1/4 cup naturya cacao crunch breakfast boost (optional)
- Pre heat the oven to gas mark 4 and line a large baking tray with greaseproof paper.
- In a small pan, melt the coconut oil over a low heat.
- Add the oats, pecans and seeds to a large mixing bowl and mix well.
- Once the oil has melted, add the nut butter, maple syrup, coffee, cacao, coconut sugar and cinnamon to the pan and stir over a low heat until fully combined.
- Pour the liquid over the dry ingredients and mix well, ensuring that everything is coated.
- Add the granola to the baking tray and bake for 20-25 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes to ensure that it bakes evenly and doesn’t burn. Meanwhile, chop the dates in to small chunks.
- Remove from the oven when golden brown and fragrant and leave to cool fully before mixing in the cacao crunch breakfast boost and dates before transferring to an airtight container, it will keep well here for up to a month.
- Serve as desired! It’s delicious alone with chilled almond milk, sprinkled on nut butter toast, blitzed in a smoothie or my favourite – generously scattered over nice cream with lashings of nut butter and frozen raspberries.
If you make this, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram @nourishingyas x