According to my mum (whose notoriously hard to please when it comes to sweet treats), these bars are the best dessert that I’ve ever made, and coming from her that is a big statement so you best believe that it’s true. These bars are made up of a gooey vanilla peanut protein bar layered with a sweet fudgey chocolate topping that you can really sink your teeth in to and is laced with crunchy bites of popcorn which provide a hint of saltiness to counteract the sweet maple syrup. Incredibly moreish and indulgent yet packed full of plant protein and not to forget lots of peanut butter, what more could you want?
I’m shortlisted for Best Vegan Blog at this years Health Blog Awards; you can vote for me here x
For the peanut butter protein bar
- 100g oat flour
- 50g vanilla protein powder (I use Vivo Life Perform*)
- 3 tbsp coconut flour
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 5 tbsp smooth peanut butter
- 1 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 9 tbsp unsweetened almond milk
For the chocolate popcorn topping
- 1 bag (27g) sweet and salted popcorn
- 6 tbsp coconut oil
- 6 tbsp maple syrup
- 6 tbsp cacao powder
- 4 tbsp smooth peanut butter
- Line a square baking tin with baking paper and set aside.
- Mix all of the base ingredients in a bowl until fully combined. Transfer to the baking tin and using the back of a spoon, press down until evenly spread and compact. Leave to set in the freezer whilst you make the chocolate popcorn layer.
- Prepare the chocolate topping by melting the coconut oil over a low heat. Once fully melted, add in the maple syrup, cacao powder and peanut butter and stir until everything is mixed together.
- Take the pan off the heat and stir through the popcorn until fully coated. Pour evenly over the peanut butter protein bar layer and return to the freezer to set.
- Once set, remove from the freezer to thaw slightly before cutting into 12 equal slices and enjoy! Store any leftovers in the freezer and thaw in the fridge before serving.
If you make these, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram @nourishingyas x
*This post contains an affiliate link, but all opinions remain my own.