The middle of a heatwave, or summer in general, definitely isn’t the ideal time to be stuck in the kitchen baking, so these no bake treats are perfect for getting your brownie fix without slaving away in front of the oven, plus they couldn’t be any simpler or quicker to make with just 7 natural ingredients. These brownies are quite possibly my favourite sweet treat yet – they pack in the richest chocolate flavour, with the sweetness provided by sticky deri dates which together with chopped nuts, cacao powder and nut butter create a gooey brownie base all topped with a sweet, fudgey chocolate frosting that’s laced with extra chopped nuts – could dessert possibly get any better?
I’m shortlisted for Best Vegan Blog at this years Health Blog Awards; you can vote for me here x
Ingredients (makes 16)
for the base
- 200g toasted mixed nuts
- 200g medjool or deri dates
- 5 tbsp cacao powder
- 4 tbsp almond butter
- 2 tbsp unsweetened almond milk
for the topping
- 6 tbsp coconut oil
- 6 tbsp maple syrup
- 6 tbsp cacao powder
- 5 tbsp almond butter
- 50g chopped toasted mixed nuts
- Line a square baking tin with baking paper and set aside.
- Add all of the base ingredients to a blender or food processor and blend until fully combined. Transfer to the baking tin and using the back of a spoon, press down until evenly spread and compact. Leave to set in the freezer whilst you make the chocolate frosting.
- Prepare the chocolate topping by melting the coconut oil over a low heat. Once fully melted, add in the maple syrup, cacao powder and almond butter and stir until everything is mixed together.
- Take the pan off the heat and add in 3/4 of the chopped nuts and stir until fully coated. Pour evenly over the chocolate brownie layer, sprinkle over the remaining nuts and return to the freezer to set.
- Once set, remove from the freezer and allow to thaw slightly before cutting into 16 equal slices and enjoy! Store any leftovers in the freezer and thaw in the fridge before serving.
If you make these, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram @nourishingyas x