A common misconception is that creating plant-based meals from scratch requires a lot of time but trust me, the last thing that I want to do when I’ve been at work all day is spend ages cooking so I love creating simple veggie bowls like this with ingredients that I already have on hand for an easy yet delicious weeknight dinner. This bowl only takes around 20 minutes to prepare from start to finish, yet is so nourishing and both feels and tastes as if it took a whole lot more time and effort. Admittedly I did used to be quite the cheese fan before I was vegan, and it’s probably the only food that I do find myself craving every now and then, so this cheesy rice works perfectly at satisfying all of those cravings. The all important cheesy flavour comes from nutritional yeast and is then further enhanced with grated vegan cheese, which is available in pretty much every supermarket now. And whilst I generally keep my intake of ‘processed’ alternative products to a minimum, it’s great to see that there are so many vegan options popping up everywhere! The addition of tahini makes the rice so sticky and moreish – perfect served alongside protein packed black beans, veggies, creamy avocado cubes and not forgetting the extra tahini on top too!
Ingredients (serves 1)
- 1/2 can black beans
- 80g frozen sweetcorn
- 80g frozen peas
- 1 small vine tomato
- 1/2 large avocado
- 1 serving brown rice
- tbsp nutritional yeast
- handful grated vegan cheese
- tbsp tahini, plus extra for topping
- himalayan salt and black pepper, to season
- Cook the rice according to the package instructions. Meanwhile, chop the tomato and avocado into small chunks and season with himalayan salt and black pepper.
- Once the rice is cooked, transfer to a small pan and set over a low heat. Stir in the tahini, nutritional yeast, grated cheese and black pepper to taste.
- Add the black beans to a pan and heat through until warmed.
- Add the frozen peas and sweet corn to a pan of boiling water and cook for 1 minute, then drain.
- Assemble the bowl starting with the rice followed by the beans, sweetcorn, peas, tomato and avocado. Drizzle over lots of tahini and season with black pepper to taste, enjoy.
If you make this, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram @nourishingyas x