As much as I love experimenting with nice cream flavours, chocolate will always remain my favourite and whilst I love whipping up my classic variation, this cherry twist may have just gone and trumped it; the bitterness of the tahini and cacao blends perfectly with the sweet dark cherries and creamy banana. My inspiration for the cherry flavour came from Super Beets Black Cherry Superfood Circulation powder*, which is loaded with vitamin C and optimum levels of nitric oxide – an important molecule which acts as a vasodilator and as a result supports healthy blood pressure levels, aids normal healthy circulation and arterial function and can increase both exercise performance and muscle recovery – so if like me you like to get your workout done and out of the way first thing, it’s a great to addition to your post workout breakfast bowl. If you don’t have the powder on hand then not to worry, the sweet cherries work just as well on their own and are packed full of antioxidants, promote sleep thanks to their high melatonin content and have been proven to lower cholesterol too. Everything is simply whizzed up and blended until smooth and creamy, then topped off with crunchy homemade granola, fresh berries and extra tahini – a breakfast that will truly rival any dessert.
Ingredients (Serves 1)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 cup frozen courgette
- 1/2 large frozen banana
- 1/2 cup frozen cherries
- 1 scoop chocolate protein powder**
- tbsp cacao powder
- tsp tahini, plus extra for topping
- optional tsp maca powder, 1 satchet super beet’s black cherry circulation superfood
- Add all of the ingredients to a blender or food processor and blitz until smooth.
- Serve and add your toppings of choice, my go to is homemade granola, crushed frozen raspberries and lashings of tahini.
If you make this, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram @nourishingyas and #nourishingyas x
*This post contains products which were sent to me for free, but all opinions remain my own.
**This post contains an affiliate link, but all opinions remain my own.
- Neo40 Clinical Trial Reveals Blood Pressure Impact. HumanN. Available at: https://www.humann.com/science/neo40-clinical-trial-reveals-blood-pressure-impact/ [Accessed October 6, 2018].