Peanut butter noodles might sound a little adventurous if you’ve solely restricted your peanut butter intake to breakfast and dessert, but trust me it has the power to completely transform savory meals in to something extra special (even if you are a little apprehensive at first). Aubergine is such an underrated veggie but it really is the center piece of this meal – the juicy chunks are an amazing substitute for meat, and it works so well at soaking up all of the flavours from the rich peanut butter miso glaze. This bowl is bursting with flavour yet so simple to make and as a result has fast become one of my favourite weeknight evening meals; there’s something so addictive about the moreish chunks of sticky miso, tahini and peanut butter roasted aubergine served on a bed of protein packed noodles, lettuce and veggies, all topped off with creamy avocado cubes, roasted nuts, chopped coriander and a drizzle of tahini and peanut butter – it truly makes the most satisfying evening meal.
Ingredients (serves 1)
- handful of lettuce
- 1/2 large avocado
- 1 small pak choi
- 80g broccoli chopped in to small florets
- 1 aubergine
- 50g black bean spaghetti, or sub noodles of choice
- sesame oil for frying
For the aubergine glaze
- 2 tsp tamari
- tsp tahini
- 2 tsps crunchy peanut butter (I used mani life deep roast)
- 1 and 1/2 tsps miso paste
- 1 and 1/2 tsps maple syrup
- tsp sesame oil
- crunchy peanut butter
- small handful chopped coriander
- small handful chopped roasted peanuts
- Pre heat the oven to gas mark 5 and line a baking tray with grease proof paper. Start by preparing the aubergine; combine the tamari, tahini, peanut butter, miso paste and maple syrup in a small bowl along with tsp water and mix until fully combined. Slice the aubergine in half and then slice criss cross lines in to each half and pour over the peanut butter tahini mixture, ensuring that it gets deep down in to the creases. Place in the centre of the oven for 25-30 minutes.
- Whilst the aubergines cooks prepare the rest of the bowl. Add the lettuce to the bowl, chop the avocado in to bitesize cubes and season with himalayan salt and black pepper.
- Cook your noodles according to the package instructions. Set a frying pan over a medium heat and add a small amount of sesame oil. Chop the pak choi and add to the pan along with a splash of tamari, cook for 5-6 minutes.
- Add the broccoli to a pan of boiling water and boil for 2-3 minutes or until tender.
- Once the aubergine has finished cooking, remove from the oven and cut in to bite size chunks. Layer all of the veggies and noodles in to the bowl before sprinkling over the coriander and peanuts then finish off with lots of tahini and peanut butter. Enjoy!
If you make this, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram @nourishingyas and #nourishingyas x