I’m definitely in agreement with the fact that breakfast is the most important meal of the day; it sets you up for all of the challenges ahead and what better way to do that than with chocolate – or more specifically, nutella. There might not be an actual nutella jar in sight but you wouldn’t even guess it as the rolled oats, seeds and hazelnuts are coated in a combination of rich melted chocolate and vegan chocolate hazelnut spread, then baked until crisp and left to cool before stirring through extra chunks of hazelnut chocolate – perfect for topping a bowlful of creamy nutella nice cream and if you want to go all out, with a nutella latte on the side too.
- 1 and 1/2 cups rolled oats
- 1/2 cup hazelnuts
- 1/4 cup mixed sunflower and pumpkin seeds
- 65g vegan hazelnut chocolate (I used vego)
- 1.5 heaping tbsp vegan chocolate hazelnut spread
- tbsp maple syrup
- 1.5 tbsp coconut oil
- Pre heat the oven to gas mark 4 and line a large baking tray with grease proof paper.
- In a small pan, melt the coconut oil and half of the hazelnut chocolate over a low heat.
- Add the oats, hazelnuts and seeds to a large mixing bowl and mix well.
- Once the chocolate has melted, add the chocolate hazelnut spread and maple syrup to the pan and stir over a low heat until fully combined.
- Pour the liquid over the dry ingredients and mix well, ensuring that everything is coated.
- Add the granola to the baking tray and bake for 20-25 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes to ensure that it bakes evenly and doesn’t burn. Meanwhile, chop the remaining chocolate in to small chunks.
- Remove from the oven when golden brown and fragrant and transfer to a wire rack and leave to cool fully before stirring through the remaining chocolate.
- Transfer to an airtight container, where it will keep well for up to a month.
- Serve as desired! It’s delicious alone with chilled almond milk, sprinkled on nut butter toast, blitzed in a smoothie or my favourite – generously scattered over nice cream with lashings of nut butter and frozen raspberries.
If you make this, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram @nourishingyas and #nourishingyas x