If dessert doesn’t involve chocolate then I’m probably not interested, so luckily these decadent bars meet that exact requirement and more; a rich gooey caramel truffle center is encased in a layer of dark chocolate studded with toasted chopped nuts for decoration. The caramel center is definitely the star of the show in this recipe and tastes exactly like Rolo’s which I loved when I was younger, so you can bet that I’ve quickly become pretty obsessed with these bars! Whilst they might look and taste super impressive, these no bake treats couldn’t be any easier to make; simply mix together the truffle ingredients, coat them in chocolate and pop them in the freezer to set. But just to pre-warn you, these chunky bars definitely make a substantial dessert so if you find that you’ve already filled yourself up on a veggie burger or noodle bowl, then you could always make them energy ball style too – but I love them way too much to make them any smaller!
Ingredients (makes 5 bars)
for the caramel truffle centre
- 200g nuts ( I used a mixture of walnuts, cashews and toasted chopped mixed nuts )
- 200g sticky medjool or deri dates
- tbsp melted coconut oil
- tbsp almond butter
- tbsp cacao powder
for the chocolate coating
- 75g cacao butter
- 30g cacao powder
- 3.5 tbsp maple syrup
- chopped nuts, to decorate
- Add the nuts, dates, coconut oil, almond butter and cacao powder to a blender or food processor and blend until the mixture is smooth. Shape in to 5 bars and transfer to the freezer to set whilst you make the chocolate coating.
- Add the cacao butter, powder and maple syrup to a small pan and set over a low heat, stirring to ensure that everything is combined.
- Once the cacao butter is fully melted, remove the pan from the heat and remove the bars from the freezer.
- Coat each of the bars in a layer of the chocolate mixture and return to the freezer.
- Once the chocolate layer has set, remove the bars from the freezer and coat them in a second layer of chocolate. Sprinkle chopped nuts on top to decorate and return to the freezer.
- Once set, transfer the bars to the fridge and enjoy! They will keep well here for up to a week but I like to keep a batch in the freezer where they’ll last for up to two months. Enjoy!
If you make these, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram @nourishingyas and use the #nourishingyas x