Whether you’re looking for an indulgent post workout treat or a way to up your protein intake at dessert, these bars have got your back – a gooey chocolate peanut butter protein bar layered with a fudgey chocolate topping that’s loaded with crushed biscuits, marshmallows, roasted pistachios and sweet goeey dates for a protein packed twist on the classic rocky road.
Ingredients (makes 12)
for the chocolate protein bar
- 25g cacao powder
- 75g oat flour
- 3 tbsp coconut flour
- 0.5 tsp cinnamon
- 50g chocolate protein powder*
- 5 tbsp smooth peanut butter
- tbsp coconut oil
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 9 tbsp unsweetened almond milk
for the rocky road topping
- 6 tbsp coconut oil
- 6 tbsp maple syrup
- 6 tbsp cacao powder
- 4 tbsp smooth peanut butter
- 35g deri or medjool dates
- 35g vegan digestives, or sub biscuit of choice
- 35g vegan mini marshmallows
- 25g pistachios
- Combine all of the base ingredients in a large mixing bowl and mix until fully combined. Transfer to a square baking tin lined with grease proof paper and press down in to an even, compact layer. Place in the freezer to set while you prepare the rocky road topping.
- Add the pistachios to a lined baking try and roast in the centre of the oven at gas mark 4 for 5-10 minutes or until fragrant, checking on them frequently to make sure that they don’t burn, then remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
- Prepare the chocolate topping by melting the coconut oil over a low heat. Meanwhile chop the dates and pistachios and break up the biscuits.
- Once fully melted, add in the maple syrup, cacao powder and peanut butter and stir until everything is mixed together.
- Take the pan off the heat and stir through the marshmallows, dates, pistachios and broken up biscuits until fully coated. Pour evenly over the chocolate protein bar layer and return to the freezer to set.
- Once set, remove from the freezer and leave to thaw slightly before cutting into 12 equal slices and enjoy! Store any leftovers in the freezer and thaw in the fridge before serving.
If you make these, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram @nourishingyas and #nourishingyas x
*This post contains an affiliate link, but all opinions remain my own.