Remember when I said that my peanut butter popcorn protein bars were the best dessert that I’ve ever made? Well these salted caramel brownie cheesecake slices may have just stolen the show. These decadent dessert bars combine two of my all time favourite desserts in one, creamy cheesecake and rich chocolate brownie, and are the absolute dream. Normally when I make something sweet I can easily pick a favourite layer but when it comes to these bars I am completely torn between the gooey, fudgey chocolate brownie base (think Ben and Jerry’s chocolate fudge brownie ice cream), the layer of moreish sticky salted date caramel and the creamy, melt in your mouth vanilla cashew cheesecake topping, but together they make the most incredible dessert. And my mum is completely and utterly obsessed with these too – she’s my number one go to taste tester as she’s notoriously hard to please, so I think the fact that she devoured nearly all of them, and keeps nagging me to make another batch, speaks volumes for how good they are.
Ingredients (makes 12)
For the brownie base
- 200g medjool or deri dates
- 200g mixed nuts
- 5 tbsp cacao powder
- 4 tbsps smooth, salted almond butter
- tbsp water
For the salted date caramel
- 200g medjool or deri dates
- 1.5 tbsps smooth, salted almond butter
- 1/4 tsp pink himalayan salt
- 2 tbsps water
For the cheesecake topping
- 180g cashews (soaked overnight or for 5 minutes in boiling water)
- 90g coconut cream (thick part from the top of the can of tinned coconut milk)
- 3 tbsps liquid coconut milk
- tbsp smooth, salted almond butter
- 25g vanilla protein powder
- 3 tbsps maple syrup
- tbsp lemon juice
- Line a square baking tin with grease proof paper and set aside.
- Start by making the base; add the nuts to the blender or food processor and blitz until they reach a flour like consistency. Add the remaining base ingredients and mix until fully combined.
- Transfer the base to the lined baking tray and using the back of a spoon, spread in an even, compact layer. Pop the tray in to the freezer whilst you make the date caramel.
- Add the dates, almond butter, himalayan salt and water to the blender and blend until completely smooth.
- Spread the date caramel evenly across the base layer and return to the freezer.
- For the cheesecake topping, add the soaked and drained cashews, coconut cream, coconut milk, almond butter, protein powder, maple syrup and lemon juice to the blender and blend until smooth and creamy.
- Remove the tray from the freezer and evenly spread the cheesecake layer on top of the date caramel. Return to the freezer to set for an hour.
- Leave to thaw slightly before slicing in to 15 equal bars and enjoy!
- Store in the fridge where it will keep for up to a week, or in the freezer where it will keep for up to 3 months but if you’re anything like me and my mum then it definitely won’t last that long!
I love seeing you guys recreate my recipes so if you make these, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram @nourishingyas and #nourishingyas x