Whilst I love drizzling it over veggie bowls and blitzing it in to hummus, tahini works so well in sweet recipes too. I know that it’s a dip that a lot of people are apprehensive about, the main mistake being that everyone who tries it for the first time takes a big spoonful and it expects it to taste like peanut butter (I definitely made that mistake when I first tried it too), and whilst it’s bitterness may be a little overpowering at first, it’s a flavour that I have absolutely grown to love.
The tahini adds the most incredible flavour and creamy element to these bars that’s sure to convert any skeptic into a tahini lover, as even my mum who supposedly hates tahini, loves and has no trouble devouring the whole batch of these bars! And they’re definitely one of my favourite desserts too, they taste so indulgent that you wouldn’t even guess that they only require 5 ingredients; made up of a gooey chocolate truffle center layered with a sticky sweet tahini caramel, all coated in a layer of rich dark chocolate – these bars definitely make an extra special sweet treat. and trust me, if you’re not a fan of tahini now then you will be after you’ve made these.
Ingredients (makes 5)
For the chocolate truffle bar
- 200g medjool or deri dates
- 2 tbsps tahini
- tbsp maple syrup
- 3 tbsps cacao powder
- tbsp water
For the tahini caramel
- 3 tbsps tahini
- 2 tbsps maple syrup
For the chocolate coating
- 135g dark chocolate
- To make the tahini truffle bars, combine the dates, tahini, maple syrup and cacao powder along with a tbsp water in to a blender or food process. Blend until fully combined.
- Divide the mixture into 5 equal balls and using your hands, shape in to bars and place on a sheet of grease proof paper.
- To make the tahini caramel, simply mix the tahini and maple syrup together in a small bowl or ramekin until smooth. Spread an even layer on top of each of the bars and pop in the freezer to set for an hour.
- Add the chocolate to a small pan and set over a low to medium heat. Heat until fully melted. Remove the bars from the freezer and coat each in a layer of chocolate. Return to the freezer to set for an hour, before transferring to the fridge to store. Enjoy!
I love seeing you guys recreate my recipes so if you make this, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram @nourishingyas and #nourishingyas