Since first making this recipe I’ve come back to it time and time again – I love how simple and quick it is to make, yet it leaves me feeling so nourished afterwards, not to mention the fact that it’s absolutely delicious. It combines two of my all time favourite meals – pesto pasta and marinated kale salad and when you mix them together, you get the best of both worlds.
Pesto pasta is such a go to weeknight dinner for me – it’s hearty, quick and super simple to make and this satisfying kale salad puts a twist on that very classic; kale leaves are massaged until soft and juicy in a creamy tahini pesto dressing and tossed with chunks of protein packed tofu, creamy avocado cubes, toasted pine nuts, peas and creamy pesto pasta for the most nourishing evening meal.
For the dressing
- tbsp tahini
- 1 and 1/2 tbsps pesto
- 1 and 1/2 tbsps extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp tamari
- tbsp apple cider vinegar
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 tbsp water
For the salad
- 100g kale
- 100g frozen peas
- 60g pasta (I used buckwheat) + tbsp pesto
- 100g firm pressed tofu
- 1/2 large avocado
- small handful toasted pine nuts
- Add all of the dressing ingredients to a small bowl and mix until smooth and creamy. Set aside.
- Cook the peas for 1 minute in boiling water. Drain and set aside to cool.
- Cook the pasta in a pan of boiling water according to the packet instructions.
- Whilst the pasta cooks, place the kale in a large mixing bowl, pour over the dressing and using your hands, massage until the kale is wilted and soft. I usually do this for about 3-5 minutes. Set aside.
- Once the pasta is cooked, drain and transfer to a bowl. Mix with the tbsp pesto and leave to cool.
- Peel, pit and cube the avocado. Season with himalayan salt and black pepper, to taste.
- Once cooled add the peas, pesto pasta, tofu, pine nuts and avocado to the mixing bowl and mix until fully combined.
- Transfer to your favourite bowl and enjoy! Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge where it will keep for up to 48 hours.
I love seeing you guys recreate my recipes so if you make this, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram @nourishingyas and #nourishingyas x