Breakfasts that involve chocolate will always be my favourite and whilst I never seem to get bored of my go-to chocolate oats, this gingerbread variation is great for switching it up as we head in to the festive season!
The same creamy texture as my classic chocolate oat recipe and an indulgent chocolate flavour that’s combined with hints of spice from the ginger, cinnamon and nutmeg, then naturally sweetened with mashed banana to create a flavour combination which is SO addictive. This is the perfect breakfast to get you in the festive spirit and set you up for the day ahead. And it’s so good that it’s definitely looking to be a contender for my Christmas morning breakfast too!
I love seeing you recreate my recipes so if you make this, please let me know in the comments below and don’t forget to tag me in your photos on Instagram using @nourishingyas or #nourishingyas.
- 1/2 cup oats
- 1 and 1/2 cups plant milk
- 3/4 large banana, mashed (reserve the rest for topping)
- tbsp cacao powder
- 1 scoop chocolate protein powder
- 1/4 tsp each cinnamon and ginger
- 1/8 tsp turmeric
- optional 2 tsps We Are Little’s gingerbread cookie instant coffee
- convert to zoats by adding 1/2 large grated courgette – this will make them extra creamy!
- Add the oats and 1 cup of the plant milk to the pan and place over a medium heat.
- Warm through for 2-3 minutes until the milk starts to bubble. Add the remaining milk to the pan along with the mashed banana, cacao powder, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and grated courgette (if using) and stir well.
- Reduce the heat to low and leave to cook through until thick and creamy for a further 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent everything from sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- As the oats are almost done, add in the scoop of protein powder and stir well until fully combined, adding a little more liquid if necessary.
- Transfer to your favourite bowl and add the banana slices along with your favourite toppings. My go to’s are a big dollop of nut butter and fresh or frozen berries. Enjoy!
If you liked this recipe then why not try my Chocolate Protein Zoats with Tropical Berry Compote or Salted Caramel Chocolate Protein Oats with Peanut Butter Date Caramel.