Christmas Eve baking has become a tradition in my house and these cookies couldn’t be any more well suited to the occasion – chunks of gooey melted chocolate, salty pistachios and juicy cranberries all packed in to the perfect chocolate orange flavored cookie. But what makes these cookies extra special is their texture; crisp on the outside with a soft, chewy center which makes them so moreish – I’m definitely resisting temptation to devour the whole batch.
Baking cookies always takes me back to making sweet treats when I was younger so they’re one of my favourite treats to whip up and these ones are super easy to bake with just a handful of natural ingredients. I love using coconut sugar in baking – it adds an incredible toffee like flavour to these chunky cookies and provides them with their all important texture. The process of creaming it together with a dairy free butter alternative ensures that they resemble the texture of a traditional cookie and retain the perfect balance of being crisp on the outside with a moreish, chewy center.
I absolutely love adding pistachios to my sweet treats too – they add a delicious crunch and salty flavour which contrasts so well with the naturally sweet cranberries and orange extract. Along with buckwheat flavour, cacao powder and some chocolate chunks for good measure, everything comes together to create the perfect festive bake.
These simple cookies are ready in one bowl and under 30 minutes, making them the ideal last minute Christmas Eve treat or easy dessert on Christmas day!
I love seeing you recreate my recipes so if you make this, please let me know in the comments below and don’t forget to tag me in your photos on Instagram using @nourishingyas or #nourishingyas.
Makes 8-10 cookies
- 250g buckwheat flour
- 200g coconut sugar
- 120g vegan butter or coconut oil
- 3 tbsps cacao powder
- 1 flax egg (tbsp flax seed + 2 tbsps water left to thicken for 5 minutes)
- 40g dark chocolate, chopped in to chunks
- 40g roasted pistachios
- 40g dried cranberries
- tsp orange extract
- Pre heat the oven to gas mark 4 and line a baking tray with grease proof paper.
- Add the coconut sugar and butter or coconut oil to a large mixing bowl and cream together.
- Once the coconut sugar and butter are creamed, add the flour, cacao powder and flax egg to the bowl and mix well until fully combined.
- When your mix has formed a dough, add the orange extract, chocolate chunks, pistachios and cranberries to the bowl and fold them in to the mixture.
- Using your hands, take a portion of the mixture and roll in to a small ball and place on to the baking tray. Repeat with the remaining mixture until you have 8-10 cookies.
- Flatten the cookies slightly before placing them in to the oven for 10-12 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool before tucking in. Enjoy!