There’s only one thing to do when you’re faced with a fruit bowl of over ripe bananas: bake banana bread.
Banana bread seems to be a favourite among a lot of people, myself included. When I posted pictures of this loaf on my Instagram story, so many of you messaged me and asked for the recipe and I’ve been so excited to share it. I’ve been obsessed with making it myself ever since – I love that it uses minimal ingredients and couldn’t be any simpler to make but tastes absolutely delicious. When it comes to the bananas that you’re using, the riper the better; as bananas ripen, an enzyme breaks down the starch in to sugar, resulting in a sweeter banana and as a result, a sweeter and more flavorsome loaf.
This vegan variation of a household classic omits the eggs and uses just 5 ingredients – bananas, oats, coconut sugar, coconut oil and nut milk which all come together to recreate a wonderfully moreish banana flavour and soft, moist texture – making it so hard to stop at one slice.
I love to serve this thickly sliced with a cup of tea, but I always make sure to freeze the rest (that is if I get to it before my mum’s devoured the whole loaf!) so that I can pop a couple of slices in the toaster before slathering them in nut butter and topping with fresh banana slices for a quick, healthy breakfast.
I love seeing you recreate my recipes so if you make this, please let me know in the comments below and don’t forget to tag me in your photos on Instagram using @nourishingyas or #nourishingyas.
makes 1 loaf: 12-15 slices
- 3 large over ripe bananas, mashed (400g)
- 50g oats
- 350g ground oats
- 80g coconut sugar
- 3 tbsps coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 3 tbsps nut milk
- Pre heat the oven to gas mark 4 and line a loaf tin with baking paper.
- Add all of the dry ingredients to a large mixing bowl and mix until fully combined.
- Add the melted coconut oil and nut milk to the bowl and fold in to the mixture.
- Transfer the mix to the lined tin and using the back of the spoon, smooth down in to an even layer.
- Place in the oven and bake for 40 minutes, until golden and fragrant. You’ll know that it’s cooked in the center if you stick in a cocktail stick or knife and it comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool before slicing in to 12 equal slices. Serve and enjoy!
- This banana bread will keep well in an airtight container for up to 5 days, but any leftover slices can be frozen where they’ll keep for up to 3 months.