I’m always keen to create new, exciting salad recipes – they’re far too often overlooked as boring bland side dishes but they can be so flavorsome and filling. This latest combination is perfect for this time of as it’s kale season and the addition of dates, pistachios and cinnamon roasted sweet potato chunks all drenched in a creamy sesame, tahini and cinnamon dressing create the perfect blend of winter flavours.
I know that a lot of people are skeptical about kale – I think it would be pretty easy to presume that you don’t like kale if you’re only experience of trying it has been straight from the packet – even I have to admit that it definitely doesn’t taste good that way, but that’s where these marinated kale salads come in. Massaging (yes you heard me right) the dressing in to the kale leaves allows them to wilt and become deliciously soft so that they soak up all of the flavour, making each bite incredibly moreish.
This seasonal salad is so much heartier and more satisfying than a bowl of mixed leaves, which is why I prefer kale salads so much. They feel extra special, look beautiful and are bursting with flavour. I’ve recently partnered up with Wonderful Pistachios* who are keeping me very well stocked up on their roasted salted pistachios – adding a handful to this salad adds a delicious crunch and hint of saltiness which works so well with the chunks of sweet gooey dates and caramelised sweet potato cubes, along with protein packed beans, lentils, and cubes of creamy avocado cubes, everything comes together to create a wholesome winter salad.
I’ve been addicted to making this salad for an easy evening meal which leaves me feeling so nourished and satisfied but it makes a great lunch box addition alongside my Moroccan Quinoa too.
I love seeing you recreate my recipes so if you make this, please let me know in the comments below and don’t forget to tag me in your photos on Instagram using @nourishingyas or #nourishingyas.
For the dressing
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- tbsp tahini
- tbsp tamari
- tbsp sesame oil
- tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- tsp cinnamon
For the salad
- 80g sweet potato plus 1/2 tsp coconut sugar and 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 80g peas
- 2 large medjool or deri dates
- small handful roasted, salted pistachios
- 1/2 large avocado
- 100g kale
- 1/4 can lentils (60g when rinsed and drained)
- 1/4 can black beans (60g when rinsed and drained)
- Pre heat the oven to gas mark 6 and line a baking tray with grease proof paper.
- Add all of the dressing ingredients to a small bowl or ramekin and mix until smooth and creamy. Set aside.
- Chop the sweet potato in to bite size cubes and place on to the baking tray along with the coconut sugar, cinnamon and a drizzle of olive oil. Toss the sweet potato in the oil and spices until fully coated. Place in the oven for 20-25 minutes.
- Whilst the sweet potato cooks prepare the kale by transferring to a large mixing bowl and pour over the dressing. Massage the dressing in to the kale for 3-5 minutes until the leaves have wilted and become soft. Set aside.
- Peel and pit the avocado and chop in to bite size cubes. Add this to the bowl along with the pistachios, peas, lentils and black beans.
- Chop the dates in to chunks and add them to the bowl.
- When the sweet potato has finished cooking, remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly before adding to the bowl. Toss everything together before transferring to your favourite bowl, enjoy!
- This kale salad is best served fresh, but it makes a great lunch box addition too. It will keep in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 days.
If you liked this recipe then why not try my Pesto Pasta and Tofu Kale Salad or Roasted Cashew, Asparagus and Sweet Potato Kale Salad.
*This post contains products which were gifted to me but all opinions remain my own.