There’s nothing more comforting than a bowl of vegetable soup on these chilly winter evenings and making your own at home is so simple and easy; simply roast the veg, blend everything together, heat through and you have a thick, creamy soup that’s bursting with flavour and nutrients.
I’m currently obsessed with butternut squash – it’s one of my favourite winter veggies and roasting it until it’s soft and tender creates the most delicious flavour and it’s what helps make this soup so thick and creamy. Its flavour pairs so well with the sweet roasted carrots and the coriander adds an extra burst of flavour, whilst also being a great source of Vitamin C, ideal for giving your immune system a boost at this time of year.
This soup really couldn’t be simpler to make – all that’s required is to roast the veggies until tender, then blitz them with butter beans, veg stock and spices to create something so delicious. This soup is so hearty and filling, making it the perfect bowl to come home to on a winter evening.
I love serving this topped with lots of black pepper, extra coriander and roasted chickpeas or slices of avocado toast topped with sautéed mushrooms and a drizzle of tahini.
I love seeing you recreate my recipes so if you make this, please let me know in the comments below and don’t forget to tag me in your photos on Instagram using @nourishingyas or #nourishingyas.
- 1 medium sized butternut squash
- 3 large carrots
- 1 small red onion
- 750ml veg stock
- small handful of fresh coriander
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- tsp cumin
- tsp apple cider vinegar
- Pre heat the oven to gas mark 6 and line two baking trays with greaseproof paper.
- Cut the squash in half length ways and place skin side down on to one of the baking trays.
- Chop the carrots in to chunks and add them to the other tray along with a generous drizzle of olive oil and a sprinkle of cumin.
- Place the squash and carrots in to the oven and roast for 45 minutes, until tender. Chop the red onion in to chunks and add this to the try along with the carrots 15 minutes before they are ready.
- Remove from the oven and leave the veggies to cool.
- Once cooled, scoop the seeds out from the center of the butternut squash and discard. Scoop out the flesh and add this to the blender along with the roasted carrots, onion, veg stock, cumin, ground coriander, fresh coriander and apple cider vinegar.
- Blend until smooth and creamy. If you prefer a thinner consistency then add more veg stock.
- Reheat in a small pan and serve topped with crunchy chickpeas and fresh coriander or avocado toast. Enjoy!
- This soup will keep in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days or I like to freeze the extra portion where it keeps for up to 6 weeks.
If you liked this recipe then why not try my Squash, Chickpea and Coconut Curry or Peanut Butter and Tahini Roasted Aubergine Noodle Bowl.