Dessert inspired breakfasts are definitely my thing – chocolate oats, nutella granola, and salted caramel nice cream are all amongst my favourites and this easy, cherry bakewell overnight oats recipe is the latest addition.
Cherry bakewell is such a classic British dessert and one of my childhood favourites and recreating it’s distinct flavour in breakfast form is the absolute dream. Soaking the oats overnight makes them deliciously soft and the whole mix becomes so thick and creamy thanks to the chia seeds and protein powder, alongside almond butter, chunks of crunchy almonds and chewy dried cherries. I use almond extract to recreate the classic marzipan flavour along with a hint of vanilla, maple syrup and juicy cherries.
Whilst this breakfast might sound fancy, it’s so simple to make – overnight oats have become a go to breakfast for me; all you need to do is pop everything in to a jar, mix together and leave it in the fridge and it’s ready to go in the morning, and you can even warm them up in the morning if you fancy. Plus it’s so easy to double or triple the recipe to make a few portions at once.
I love these cherry bakewell overnight oats served with vanilla nice cream, crunchy homemade granola, frozen cherries and nut butter but they’re just as delicious warmed through on the hob and topped with caramelised banana and chai nut butter.
I love seeing you recreate my recipes so if you make this, please let me know in the comments below and don’t forget to tag me in your photos on Instagram using @nourishingyas or #nourishingyas.
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- tbsp chopped almonds
- tbsp dried cherries
- tbsp vanilla protein powder (or sub tbsp flax seed + tsp vanilla extract)
- tbsp almond butter
- tsp chia seeds
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- tsp maple syrup
- handful of frozen cherries
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- fruit + nut granola
- nut butter
- banana slices
- fresh and frozen berries
- Add the oats, almonds, dried cherries, protein powder, chia seeds and cinnamon to an airtight container or bowl and mix well.
- Pour the almond milk over the dry mixture and add the almond extract, almond butter and maple syrup. Stir together until fully combined.
- Add the frozen cherries and stir them through the mixture.
- Pop the lid on the container and place in the fridge overnight.
- Remove from the fridge an hour before eating. Serve cold or heat through on the hob, adding a little more liquid if necessary. Enjoy!