I’m absolutely obsessed with Indian food – growing up I was never a fan but over the past year I’ve come to love everything about the taste and textures and I love recreating my favourite restaurant dishes at home. Unfortunately a lot of my favourite curry recipes require a couple of hours cooking time, which I don’t always have after a day at work – but this creamy curry is a great batch cook that can be thrown together in under 15 minutes without compromising on flavour.
This chickpea and cashew curry is loaded with flavour from the blend of creamy coconut milk, curry powder and spices. It’s not the hottest curry, but it has a subtle kick to it which I love! The protein packed chickpeas and veggies make it so hearty and satisfying, and the roasted cashews add a little crunch along with extra flavour whilst upping the protein too. I love sneaking peanut butter in to my savoury dishes – it adds an incredible rich flavour to this curry and trust me once you’ve tried it you’ll be absolutely obsessed too.
This quick and easy curry is perfect for a last minute curry night or easy weeknight dinner and the extra portion can easily be frozen for future evening meals. The veggies are completely interchangeable in this recipe so it’s a great one for using up any leftovers – broccoli, cauliflower and courgette would all be delicious too and if you don’t have chickpeas on hand then you could always add beans or lentils instead.
I love to serve this curry with quinoa or brown rice, a sprinkling of fresh coriander and extra roasted cashews.
- 1 x 400g tin chickpeas
- 1 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 400g tin coconut milk (why not use the rest for one of my cheesecake recipes?)
- 1 small red onion
- 240g spinach
- 1 small carrot, grated
- handful of green beans
- handful of frozen peas
- tsp turmeric
- tsp and 1/2 cumin
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- tsp coriander
- 3 tsps curry powder
- tsp miso paste
- tbsp crunchy peanut butter
- handful of roasted cashews
- fresh coriander
- small handful of roasted cashews
- Set a large pan over a medium heat and add a good drizzle of olive oil.
- Once the oil has heated through, add the onion to the pan and cook for 4-6 minutes until it starts to brown.
- Reduce the heat to low and add the turmeric, cumin, paprika, coriander, curry powder, miso paste and peanut butter to the pan. Stir well to form a paste.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and coconut milk to the pan and return the heat to medium. Add the green beans, peas and chickpeas to the pan and stir well.
- Add the spinach to the pan and allow it to wilt down.
- Once the spinach has wilted, stir in the cashews.
- Serve alongside quinoa or brown rice with freshly chopped coriander and roasted cashews. Enjoy!
- This curry will keep for up to 3 days stored in an airtight container in the fridge or up to 6 weeks when frozen.