I love making my own bread – there’s something so satisfying about the way that the smell of a freshly baked loaf fills the house and it’s so rewarding knowing that you’ve made it from scratch. Whilst traditional shop bought options like sourdough, rye or wholemeal are great, this flavoursome loaf is my preferred base for avocado toast – I just can’t get enough of its hearty texture and nutty flavour.
Since transitioning to a plant based diet, I’ve made my fair share of nut and seed based loaves – I prefer their texture to traditional bread and one recipe that I always go back to is Healthy Living James’ Superfood Bread. I’ve made it a ridiculous amount and mentioned it countless times in both blog posts and on my Instagram, but I thought it was about time that I came up with my own recipe, inspired by my favourite. This loaf is denser than traditional bread, with a rich nutty texture and salty undertone from the roasted pistachios which makes it so moreish. I use buckwheat flour, ground pistachios and oats in this recipe so it’s suitable if you follow a gluten free diet and the flaxseed and chia used in replacement of egg make it vegan too.
Whilst this loaf is delicious freshly sliced, I much prefer it toasted and loaded up with avocado, hummus, sauteed mushrooms, sliced tomato and tahini – it’s the absolute dream! It’s also great for breakfast with nut butter and banana slices, as a side for soup or chopped up in to croutons and mixed in to a hearty kale salad.
I love seeing you recreate my recipes so if you make this, please let me know in the comments below and don’t forget to tag me in your photos on Instagram using @nourishingyas or #nourishingyas.
makes 1 loaf: 16-18 slices
- 1 cup roasted, salted pistachios
- 2 and 1/2 cups pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 cup buckwheat flour
- 1/2 cup oats
- 1/2 cup oat flour
- 2 tbsps chia seeds
- 2 and 1/2 tbsps ground flax seed
- 1 and 3/4 cups water
- Pre heat the oven to gas mark 4 and line a loaf tin with grease proof paper.
- Add the pistachios, chia seeds and pumpkin seeds to a blender and blitz until they form a flour.
- Add the ground nuts and seeds to a large mixing bowl. Stir in the oats, flaxseed and buckwheat flour until fully combined.
- Add the water to the dry ingredients and mix well until a dough is formed. Transfer to the lined loaf tin and spread in to an even layer.
- Place in the oven for 40 minutes. Remove from the oven and flip the tin over on to a baking tray so that the loaf is upside down. Remove the loaf tin and greaseproof paper and allow the loaf to cook for a further 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool fully before cutting in to 16-18 equal slices.
- Store in the fridge where it will keep for up to a week, or freeze any leftovers where it will keep for up to 3 months.