Pistachios definitely don’t get the recognition that they deserve – they’re packed with the most delicious salty roasted flavour which adds the perfect amount of crunch to this pesto brown rice bowl. Ready in under 15 minutes, this meal has become one of my go to’s; it requires minimal effort and the simplest ingredients, yet together they create such a delicious combination that I can’t stop coming back to; the salty roasted pistachios are scattered over sticky pesto brown rice, crunchy broccoli, black beans, creamy mashed avocado and juicy sauteed mushrooms, and I love adding an extra drizzle of tahini on top too!
This bowl makes a quick and easy weeknight supper but it’s delicious served cold for lunch the next day too.
I love seeing you recreate my recipes so if you make these, please let me know in the comments below and don’t forget to tag me in your photos on Instagram using @nourishingyas or #nourishingyas.
- 1 serving brown rice
- 2 tbsps green pesto
- 1/2 can black beans (120g when rinsed and drained)
- 80g chestnut mushrooms
- 80g broccoli
- 1/2 large avocado or 1 serving of hummus
- small handful salted and roasted pistachios
- himalayan salt and black pepper, to season
- optional tahini, for drizzling
- Add a drizzle of olive oil to a frying pan and set over a medium to high heat. Slice the chestnut mushrooms and once the oil hot, add them to the pan. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring as little as possible to ensure that they turn golden brown.
- Whilst the mushrooms cook, peel, pit and mash the avocado with himalayan salt and black pepper, to taste. Set aside.
- Add the black beans to a pan and cook for 5 minutes, or until heated through.
- Add the broccoli to a pan of boiling water and cook for 3 minutes, or until tender.
- Add the brown rice to a small pan along with a splash of boiling water and the pesto. Stir the pesto through until fully combined and allow the rice to heat through.
- Drain the broccoli and transfer to your bowl along with the beans, mushrooms, pesto rice and mashed avocado. Top with the roasted pistachios and a drizzle of tahini. Serve and enjoy!