I don’t need to tell you again how much I love baking a batch of homemade granola – I’ve already posted a bunch of different flavour combinations from gingerbread to nutella and classic fruit + nut, but this salted caramel granola with its dessert inspired flavour and chunks of sweet, gooey dates is pretty special.
One thing that annoys me the most about shop bought granola is the amount, or lack of, nuts and dried fruit – whilst they’re listed on the ingredients, they’re contained at such a small percentage and I find it so frustrating which is one of the reasons why I love baking my own. Rest assured that this granola is absolutely loaded with chunks of sweet gooey dates, nuts, pecans and almonds all balanced out by the oats, – ensuring that you get a blend of each in every mouthful.
The oats, nuts and seeds are baked until golden and crunchy in the most incredible salted caramel sauce made with a blend of coconut oil, almond butter, maple syrup, cinnamon and a pinch of himalayan salt. I also add in a scoop of MissFits Salted Caramel protein powder which really makes this granola so sweet and delicious whilst upping the protein content too. But if you don’t have the protein powder on hand then you could substitute a vanilla protein powder of choice or omit it from the recipe completely, as the blend of sticky sweet dates, almond butter, maple syrup and salt works perfectly at creating that classic salted caramel flavour without it.
I love seeing you recreate my recipes so if you make these, please let me know in the comments below and don’t forget to tag me in your photos on Instagram using @nourishingyas or #nourishingyas.
- 1 and 1/2 cups jumbo oats
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup pumpkin or sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup pecans
- 1/3 cup almonds
- 1 cup medjool or deri dates
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsps maple syrup
- 2 and 1/2 tbsps coconut oil, melted
- 2 tbsps olive oil
- tbsp smooth almond butter
- small pinch of pink himalayan salt
- optional 1 scoop of MissFits Salted Caramel Protein Powder
- Pre heat the oven to gas mark 4 and line a large baking tray with grease proof paper.
- Add the oats, nuts, seeds, ground nuts, cinnamon, protein powder, himalayan salt and to a mixing bowl and stir until combined.
- Pour the coconut oil, olive oil, almond butter and maple syrup over the dry ingredients and stir well, ensuring everything is fully coated.
- Transfer the granola to the baking tray and bake in the center of the oven for 30-45 minutes or until golden brown and fragrant. Make sure to remove from the oven to stir every 5-10 minutes, to ensure that it bakes evenly and doesn’t burn.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool fully before stirring through the chopped dates.
- Transfer to an airtight container where it will keep for up to 6 weeks.
- Enjoy alone with chilled nut milk, sprinkled on your nice cream, porridge bowl or as a snack straight from the jar!