Energy balls are one of my go to snacks – not only do they taste delicious but they’re so simple and inexpensive to make at home. The fudgey texture of these balls makes them such a satisfying sweet treat and they’re perfectly portioned so are great for curbing a mid morning or afternoon sweet craving – although that definitely doesn’t stop me from eating more than one! There’s so many flavour combinations to play around with – salted caramel and chocolate fudge brownie are two of my favourites, but this batch boasts a rich chocolate flavour which blends so well with the hint of fiery spices.
I love using coconut flour in sweet treats – it provides these balls with the fudgey, gooey texture that makes them so addictive and extremely hard to stop at just one! Combined with the rich chocolate flavour from the protein powder and the chai spice blend, these bitesize balls are so delicious.
I love seeing you recreate my recipes so if you make this, please let me know in the comments below and don’t forget to tag me in your photos on Instagram using @nourishingyas or #nourishingyas.
makes 8 balls
- 1/2 cup smooth, runny nut butter
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- tbsp cacao powder
- 2 tbsps coconut flour
- 1 scoop (25g) of chocolate protein powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 + 1/8 tsp cardamom
- 1/4 + 1/8 tsp ginger
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 2 tbsp nut milk
- Add all of the ingredients to a blender or food processor and blitz until combined. Alternatively, mix all of the ingredients together in a bowl.
- Take a small amount of mixture and using your hands, shape in to a ball.
- Repeat with the remaining mixture until you have 8 energy balls.
- Pop the balls in to the freezer to set for an hour. Store in the fridge where they’ll keep for up to a week or the freezer where they’ll last up to 3 months. Enjoy!