This simple sweet potato bowl has become one of my go to meals, it requires such little effort but makes the perfect brunch alternative if you’ve overdone it on the avocado toast! The sweet potato is baked until caramelised and served alongside smoky baked beans, juicy mushrooms, spinach and creamy hummus for the ultimate plant based brunch.
I absolutely love sweet potato and it’s without a doubt one of my favourite foods. Whilst they’re amazing for making coconut sugar sweet potato wedges, blending in to soup and incorporating in to a hearty vegan burger, my favourite way to enjoy them is baked until tender – they go so sweet and sticky, the juices caramelise and it’s truly delicious. The sticky baked potato makes a great base to this bowl and it pairs so well with the smoky baked beans and creamy hummus.
This nourishing bowl really is so simple to make and you can easily customise it too – if you don’t have the smoky baked beans then this would work just as well with tinned, the veggies can be swapped for whatever you have leftover in the fridge and mashed avocado would work just as well in place of the hummus.
I love this bowl for a delicious brunch, but I enjoy it most often as an easy weeknight dinner; simply leave the sweet potato to cook and prep everything else 15 minutes before the end and you have a delicious, nourishing and satisfying meal without almost any effort.
I love seeing you recreate my recipes so if you make these, please let me know in the comments below and don’t forget to tag me in your photos on Instagram using @nourishingyas or #nourishingyas.
- 1 medium-large sweet potato
- 1 portion sweet & smoky baked beans, or sub regular baked beans
- 125g chestnut mushrooms
- 1/2 large bag spinach
- 1 serving of my pesto or classic hummus
- Pre heat the oven to gas mark 6.
- Stab the sweet potato a few times with a fork and wrap in foil. Place in the center of the oven for 1 hour, until tender.
- Whilst the sweet potato is cooking, chop the chestnut mushrooms into slices.
- When the sweet potato is 15 minutes away from being finished place a frying pan over a medium heat and add a generous drizzle of olive oil.
- Add the chestnut mushrooms to the pan and cook for 10-12 minutes, stirring occasionally, until golden brown.
- Add the baked beans to a pan and heat through for 3-5 minutes, until warm.
- Add the spinach to a large pan with a drop of boiling water and allow the wilt.
- Remove the sweet potato from the oven and slice it in half down the center. Transfer to a bowl and add the baked beans, chestnut mushrooms, spinach and hummus. I love adding a sprinkle of fresh coriander or parsley too. Enjoy!