The perfect cross between a bounty and snickers, these chunky no bake vegan chocolate bars are the ultimate indulgent dessert – a gooey nutty caramel truffle bar topped with a layer of sweet coconut nougat, all encased in a crunchy layer of dark chocolate. Each of the three layers compliments each other perfectly and together they create the most decadent and addictive sweet treat.
These chunky bars so satisfying to bite in to – the caramel truffle bar is deliciously sticky and sweet thanks to the dates and pairs so well with the chewy coconut nougat which sinks beneath your teeth, whilst you get a wonderful crunch from the dark chocolate. Each mouthful is so incredibly moreish – making it ridiculously hard to resist eating the whole batch!
Nougat was always one of my favourite sweet treats growing up. It’s something that I remember my mum would let me pick up from the corner shop on the walk home from school and I’ve recreated this plant based version using a blend of coconut cream, cashews, ground almonds, coconut oil and vanilla for that classic, chewy nougat texture. Combined with the caramel truffle and layer of chocolate, these bars are sure to satisfy all of your dessert cravings.
I absolutely love making no bake bars like this – I always have the freezer stocked up with a batch of my tahini caramel truffle bars or chocolate caramel truffle bars. Not only do they look super impressive but they taste better than any shop bought version ever could, are made with plant based ingredients and are naturally sweetened with maple syrup and dates – making them a decadent dessert that rivals anything that you could ever get out of a wrapper.
I love seeing you recreate my recipes so if you make these, please let me know in the comments below and don’t forget to tag me in your photos on Instagram using @nourishingyas or #nourishingyas.
for the caramel truffle bar layer
- 200g almonds
- 150g medjool or deri dates
- tbsp smooth peanut or almond butter
- 4 tbsps coconut cream (thick layer from canned coconut milk)
- tbsp and 1/2 cacao powder
for the nougat layer
- 70g cashews (soaked for 5 minutes in boiling water)
- 35g ground almonds
- 1/4 cup coconut cream (thick layer from canned coconut milk)
- 2 tbsps coconut oil, melted
- tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
for the chocolate coating
- 100g dark chocolate
- tbsp coconut oil
- Add all of the ingredients for the caramel truffle bar to a blender or food processor and blitz until fully combined.
- Remove the mixture from the blender and using your hands, divide the mix into six equal balls and shape in to rectangular bars.
- Place the bars in the freezer to set whilst you make the nougat layer.
- Add all of the ingredients for the nougat layer to the blender and blend until smooth. Remove the caramel bars from the freezer and divide the nougat mixture equally between them, using the back of a spoon to create a smooth, even layer.
- Return the bars to the freezer to set for an hour.
- When the bars are almost ready, add the chocolate to a small pan along with the coconut oil and set over a low heat. Heat through until fully melted.
- Once the chocolate has melted, remove the bars from the freezer and coat each of them in a layer of chocolate.
- Once coated, return the bars to the freezer to set for an hour before transferring to the fridge where they’ll keep for up to a week. I like to store my batch in the freezer, where they’ll keep for up to 3 months and defrost one whenever I fancy. Enjoy!