Let’s be honest, we all know that getting to lick the spoon (or bowl) for the last scrapings of cookie dough mix was always the highlight of baking growing up, and so I created these edible vegan cookie dough energy balls to satisfy all of those cravings. These fudgey, gooey bites are laced with chocolate chunks and pack in that classic cookie dough flavour for a moreish snack that’s sure to take you back to your childhood.
These energy balls are my latest obsession – the mix of oats, nut butter and maple syrup, coconut flour and chocolate is a simple combination that comes together to create something so addictive. The coconut flour and nut butter are the main elements that provide these balls with the perfect gooey, melt in your mouth cookie dough texture – making them the ideal snack, dessert or breakfast bowl topping.
These moreish cookie dough balls couldn’t be simpler to make with just 5 natural ingredients and no baking required. I always ensure that I keep my freezer well stocked with a batch of these alongside my Salted Caramel Protein Balls so that I can mix and match for an easy snack or dessert.
I love these balls straight up as a snack from the fridge, but popping them in the microwave for 10 seconds until they’re warm and gooey makes them even more delicious. Undoubtedly my favourite way to enjoy them has to be chopped up in a bowl of chocolate cookie dough nice cream for the ultimate indulgent breakfast that’s reminiscent of everyone’s favourite Ben & Jerry’s flavour. However you choose to enjoy them, there’s no doubting that it’s incredibly hard to stop at just one!
I love seeing you recreate my recipes so if you make these, please let me know in the comments below and don’t forget to tag me in your photos on Instagram using @nourishingyas or #nourishingyas.
makes 6 balls
- 1/3 cup ground oats
- tbsp coconut flour
- 1/2 cup smooth nut butter (I used a combination of cashew and peanut)
- 1 and 1/2 tbsps maple syrup
- tbsp chocolate chips or dark chocolate, chopped
- Add the oats, coconut flour, nut butter and maple syrup to a mixing bowl and mix until fully combined.
- Once mixed, fold the chocolate chips in to the dough.
- Using your hands, take a small amount of mixture and roll in to a ball. Repeat with the remaining mixture until you have 6 balls.
- Pop the balls in to the freezer to set for an hour, before transferring to the fridge where they’ll keep for up to a week. I prefer to keep the remainder of my batch in the freezer, where they’ll keep for up to 3 months.
- Enjoy as they are as a snack, warmed up in the microwave, as a breakfast bowl topping or to make my chocolate chip cookie dough nice cream.