If you were as addicted to Oreo’s as I was before transitioning to a plant based diet, then you’ll be very happy and possibly surprised to learn that they’re one of the foods that make it on to the accidentally vegan list. But that doesn’t mean that you can only enjoy them dunked in to a glass of almond milk – incorporating them in to a gooey chocolate fudge brownie, complete with a sweet chocolate ganache that’s laced with crushed Oreo’s is the best way to get your cookies and cream fix.
Whilst I love baking brownies, there’s something about no bake versions which I find so addictive – I love the way that the mix of dates, nuts and peanut butter creates the most incredibly moreish gooey texture. Whether it’s a batch of my nutty chocolate fudge brownies. salted caramel brownie cheesecake slice, or this latest oreo variation, I can’t get enough.
The moreish chocolately brownie, coupled with oreo chunks and fudgey ganache makes these brownies the absolute dream. But rewind a year ago and you wouldn’t have caught me eating an Oreo – I wrongly avoided gluten , refined sugar and ‘processed’ foods, but reintroducing gluten and developing a more balanced approach and relationship towards food has led me right back to these fudgey Oreo brownies – and I think that’s a pretty good place to be. Plus when they taste this good, they’re far too hard to say no to.
I’ve packed Oreos in to these sweet treats in every way possible. Firstly, they’re blitzed and blended in to a fudgey, gooey nutty brownie which is laced with extra Oreo chunks. But my favourite part might be the chocolate fudge topping – this sweet, fudgey layer sinks beneath your teeth and is packed with yes, you guessed it, even more Oreo chunks. With just 7 ingredients, there’s nothing stopping you from continuously having your freezer well stocked with a batch of these indulgent brownies.
I love seeing you recreate my recipes so if you make these, please let me know in the comments below and don’t forget to tag me in your photos on Instagram using @nourishingyas or #nourishingyas.
for the oreo fudge brownie
- 150g almonds
- 50g oreos
- 250g medjool dates
- 3 tbsps cacao powder
- 5 tbsps smooth peanut butter
- 50g oreos, broken in to chunks
for the oreo chocolate ganache
- 6 tbsps coconut oil
- 6 tbsps cacao powder
- 6 tbsps maple syrup
- 5 tbsps peanut butter
- 50g oreos, broken in to small chunks
- Line a square baking tin with grease proof paper – this will make it easier to pull the brownie slab out at the end.
- To make the base, add the nuts and 50g of the Oreos to a blender and blitz until broken down.
- Add the dates, cacao powder and peanut butter to the blender and blend until the mix comes together.
- Transfer the brownie mix to a large mixing bowl and fold in the remaining 50g of broken up Oreos.
- Transfer the brownie mix to the lined baking tin and press down in to an even layer – I find that it’s easiest to use the back of a spoon to do this. Place in the freezer to set whilst you make the ganache topping.
- To make the ganache, add the coconut oil to a small pan and set over a low heat until fully melted.
- Once melted, stir in the cacao powder, peanut butter and maple syrup until smooth. Stir in the broken up Oreos.
- Remove the brownie from the freezer and pour over the ganache. Return to the freezer to set for 2 hours.
- Once set, remove from the freezer and leave to thaw slightly before cutting in to 12 equal slices. Enjoy!