Chocolate peanut butter heaven – quite possibly the only 4 words needed to sum up what might just be my favourite dessert ever. I’ve recreated the classic snickers bar flavour in these chunky no bake bars for the ultimate indulgent dessert; featuring a chewy peanut nougat bar, topped with a generous layer of peanut date caramel that’s loaded with peanut chunks, all coated in a layer of dark chocolate – dare I say that these might just be even better than the original.
Chocolate and peanut butter is one of my most loved combinations, so it’s no wonder that snickers were always my favourite chocolate bar growing up. Since transitioning to a plant based diet, I’ve loved recreating its classic flavour – whether it’s a batch of my snickers granola or peanut butter caramel and chocolate oat bars, I’m completely obsessed. But these bars are the best yet, according to my mum they ‘really do taste just like a Snickers’ – they’re chewy, gooey, sweet and salty – packing in a rich flavour that rivals that of the traditional.
My favourite part of these bars has to be the moreish layer of deliciously sweet and sticky date caramel, which I would quite happily sit and eat by the spoonful. It’s so smooth and creamy and the addition of roasted nuts makes it so moreish, it’s a wonder that it makes it on to these bars! Its sweetness is perfectly balanced by the rich, chewy nougat and dark chocolate coating, making these bars insanely addictive.
These bars are undoubtedly the best dessert I’ve made yet – the way that the caramel oozes and sinks beneath your teeth, contrasted by the crunchy nuts and chewy nougat makes them so satisfying. Being the chocolate and peanut butter addicts that we are, me and my mum are both obsessed with these and a batch never lasts long in our house. But the fact that they’re surprisingly simple to make with no baking required, makes whipping up another batch and satisfying all of those peanut butter chocolate cravings so easy.
I love seeing you recreate my recipes so if you make these, please let me know in the comments below and don’t forget to tag me in your photos on Instagram using @nourishingyas or #nourishingyas.
makes 6 bars
for the peanut nougat layer
- 70g oat flour
- 2 tbsps coconut flour
- 2 tbsps chocolate protein powder (or sub extra oats)
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 2 tbsps coconut oil, melted
- 2 tbsps maple syrup
- 2 tbsps nut milk
for the peanut date caramel
- 175g medjool dates
- 1 and 1/2 tbsps peanut butter
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 40g roasted peanuts
for the chocolate coating
alternatively you could use your favourite chocolate bar, melted
- 80g cacao butter or coconut oil
- 3 tbsps maple syrup
- 4 tbsps cacao powder
- 1 tbsp smooth peanut butter
- Start by making the nougat bar. Add all of the bar ingredients to the blender and blitz until the mix comes together. Transfer to a large mixing bowl and using your hands, divide in to 6 equal balls.
- Shape each of the balls in to a bar. Place the bars on to a sheet of grease proof paper and in to the freezer to set.
- Make the date caramel by adding the dates, peanut butter and vanilla extract to the blender along with 3 tbsps water and blend until smooth and creamy.
- Once smooth, stir the peanuts in to the caramel until fully coated. Remove the bars from the freezer and top each with a layer of the date caramel. Return to the freezer to set for 2 hours.
- When the caramel is almost set, start to prepare the chocolate coating. Add the cacao butter to a small pan and set over a low heat until fully melted. Once melted, stir in the cacao powder, maple syrup and peanut butter until smooth and remove from the heat.
- Remove the bars from the freezer and coat each in a layer of chocolate. Repeat until the bars are coated 2-3 times, depending on your preferred thickness of chocolate.
- Return to the freezer to set for 30 minutes. Thaw slightly at room temperate before eating. Enjoy!