You know how much of a fan I am of chocolate themed desserts (and breakfasts for the matter) but these Vegan carrot cake cheesecake bars might just be the sweet treat that has converted me. Featuring a fudgey, moist, lightly spiced carrot cake bar topped with a smooth, creamy vanilla cheesecake topping – these bars taste exactly like a traditional carrot cake and are the perfect sweet treat to make in time for Easter.
When I do manage to tear myself away from the cacao powder and peanut butter, carrot cake is one of my favourite desserts. It’s such a classic but the combination of the delicately spiced sponge with its moist texture, coupled with cream cheese frosting never fails to satisfy.
These bars were actually inspired by a dessert that my uncle had whilst we were out for a meal at the local pub – a carrot cake used as the alternative to the classic biscuit base, which was something completely new to me but I instantly knew that I had to recreate. And it’s safe to say that I think that I have very much succeeded with these no bake bars – the mix of grated carrot, walnuts, dates, raisins, oats and spices comes together to create the most addictive fudgey bar that packs in the traditional carrot cake flavour.
The vanilla cheesecake topping is the perfect alternative to classic cream cheese frosting, and I personally think that it’s even more delicious. Like with my chocolate, raspberry and pistachio or vanilla protein cheesecakes, I’ve used a blend of cashews and coconut milk to create a plant based cheesecake that’s so smooth and creamy. Naturally sweetened with maple syrup, it makes the perfect partner for the warmly spiced carrot cake base.
These bars are the perfect chocolate free dessert option this Easter – because I know that I will definitely be getting more than enough of my fair share of chocolate in egg form!
I love seeing you recreate my recipes so if you make these, please let me know in the comments below and don’t forget to tag me in your photos on Instagram using @nourishingyas or #nourishingyas.
for the carrot cake bar
- 1 cup loosely packed grated carrot
- 1 and 1/4 cups walnuts
- 1/4 cup oats
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup medjool dates
- tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1 tbsp coconut cream (the thick layer from canned coconut milk)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
for the vanilla cheesecake topping
- 90g cashews – soaked for 5 minutes in boiling water
- 70g coconut cream (the thick layer from canned coconut milk)
- 1 tbsp vanilla protein powder* (alternatively use 1 tsp vanilla extract)
- 1 and 1/2 tbsps maple syrup
- 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
- Line a square brownie tin with a sheet of greaseproof paper – this will make it easier to remove the bars at the end.
- Add the walnuts and oats to the blender and blitz until they form a flour.
- Add the remaining bar ingredients to the blender along with the walnuts and oats and blitz until fully combined. The mix should stick together when squeezed between your fingers.
- Transfer the bar mixture to the lined baking tin and spread in to an even, compact layer. Place in the freezer to set whilst you make the cheesecake layer.
- To make the cheesecake, add all of the ingredients to the blender and blend until smooth.
- Remove the bar from the freezer and pour over the cheesecake in an even layer. Place in the freezer to set for an hour.
- Remove from the freezer and allow to thaw slightly before cutting in to 8 equal bars. Enjoy!
*I use MissFits Nutrition Vanilla Protein Powder – you can use my affiliate code YASMIN5 to get £5 off your first order.