If you like peanut butter cups then you are going to be obsessed with these peanut butter caramel cups. Whilst I love both my chocolate fudge peanut butter and rocky road nut butter cups, these snickers inspired sweet treats have got to be the best yet. Featuring the most addictive smooth peanut butter date caramel laced with crunchy roasted peanuts, all encased in a layer of dark chocolate – these cups are the ultimate peanut butter lovers dessert.
Snickers bars were always my favourite growing up and ever since I recreated them in plant based form, the obsession has well and truly been reignited. There’s something about the trio of caramel, peanut and chocolate which is so addictive. It works so well in my snickers granola but for something even more indulgent, these nut butter cups are ideal. The layer of silky smooth moreish date caramel packed with crunchy peanut chunks, encased in a dark chocolate coating is the perfect way to satisfy your snickers cravings.
What I love most about these peanut butter cups is the date caramel filling – I definitely have to resist temptation not to sit and eat it all with a spoon! I’m guilty of sneaking it in to almost all of my sweet treats in one way or another, whether it’s my peanut butter caramel and chocolate oat bars or peanut butter caramel cheesecakes. The simple blend of dates, vanilla and peanut butter is a whole lot healthier than the traditional version but has the most incredible sticky, gooey texture that makes it ridiculously moreish.
These cups are so satisfying to eat – the way the sticky caramel oozes out beneath the crunch of the dark chocolate makes them so addictive. I love them just as they are, but that doesn’t mean that I haven’t been known to stir them in to a bowl of chocolate protein nice cream or melted on top of a bowl of chocolate oats too.
I love seeing you recreate my recipes so if you make these, please let me know in the comments below and don’t forget to tag me in your photos on Instagram using @nourishingyas or #nourishingyas.
For the chocolate
- 3/4 cup cacao butter or coconut oil
- 1/4 cup smooth peanut butter
- 4 and 1/2 tbsps cacao powder
- 1 tbsp maple syrupp
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
For the peanut butter caramel filling
- 80g medjool dates
- 20g roasted peanuts
- tbsp smooth peanut butter
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 tbsps warm water
- Start by making the chocolate – add the cacao butter or coconut oil to a small pan and melt over a low heat.
- Once melted, add the remaining chocolate ingredients and stir until smooth.
- Add 1 and 1/2 tbsps of the chocolate mixture to a small silicone cupcake case. Repeat until you have filled the base of 6 cases and place them in the freezer to set whilst you make the peanut butter caramel filling.
- To make the date caramel, add the dates, peanut butter, vanilla and water to the blender and blend until smooth.
- Once smooth, stir in the peanuts. Remove the chocolate cases from the freezer and add a heaping tbsp of the caramel to each. Pop in the freezer to set for 15 minutes.
- Remove the cases from the freezer and add 1 tbsp of the chocolate mixture to the top of each. Return to the freezer to set for an hour.
- Once set, remove from the freezer and allow to thaw slightly before digging in. Enjoy!