Bounty bars were one of my favourites growing up – the classic coconut and chocolate combination might be simple but it’s so addictive. I’ve recreated them with a strawberry twist, creating a no bake treat that’s sure to satisfy all of your cravings – and the vibrant pink colour makes them all the more enjoyable to eat tooo!
I’ve already recreated snickers bars and it’s safe to say that I’m pretty obsessed with them, so it was only right that Bounty bars were next on the list. One of my childhood favourites, these bars are so nostalgic for me (the most prominent memory being when one of my front teeth fell out eating one) so I’m already pretty addicted to them, and I’m sure that you’re going to love them just as much.
The center of these chunky bars perfectly imitates that of a classic bounty, with a subtle hint of strawberry which pairs so well with the crunch from the dark chocolate coating and creates the perfect flavour trio as we head in to the summer months.
These no bake chocolate bars couldn’t be any easier to make with just 5 ingredients – a fraction of the amount contained in the original bar. The simple mix of desiccated coconut, coconut cream, coconut oil, maple syrup and strawberry extract comes together to create a coconut and strawberry infused bar which is so moreish. Encased in a layer of thick dark chocolate, they really do make the ideal dessert.
Similar to the blue coconut truffles that I posted on Instagram in celebration of National Unicorn Day, these bars pack in a vibrant pink colour which makes them so aesthetically pleasing. I used pink pitaya powder in order to achieve such a pretty colour, but you could switch it for pink food colouring, or omit it completely. Whilst the colouring makes them look extra pretty but the taste of these bars alone is more than enough to impress.
I love seeing you recreate my recipes so if you make these, please let me know in the comments below and don’t forget to tag me in your photos on Instagram using @nourishingyas or #nourishingyas.
makes 4-5 bars
for the coconut and strawberry bar
- 120g unsweetened desiccated coconut
- 115g coconut cream (the thick layer from canned coconut milk)
- 1 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 2 tbsps maple syrup
- 1 tsp strawberry extract
- optional 2 tsps pink pitaya powder or 1 tsp pink food colouring
for the chocolate coating
- 100g dark chocolate
- 1/2 tbsp coconut oil
- Add the desiccated coconut, coconut cream and maple syrup to a mixing bowl and mix well until fully combined.
- Add in the coconut oil, strawberry extract and pitaya powder or food colouring if using and mix again.
- Take a small handful of the mixture and using your hands, shape in to a bar. Repeat with the remaining mixture until you have 4-5 bars, depending on your preferred size.
- Place the bars in the freezer to firm up for 30 minutes.
- Melt the chocolate in a small pan and remove the bars from the freezer. Coat each of the bars in a layer of the chocolate and return to the freezer for another 30 minutes.
- Leave to thaw slightly at room temperature before digging in, enjoy!
- These bars will keep in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week, but I like to store the rest of my batch in the freezer where they’ll keep for up to 2 months.