Peanut butter features heavily in a lot of my sweet recipes, but it makes the best addition to savoury dishes too. This sticky peanut butter brown rice is packed with flavour and served alongside juicy peanut butter roasted aubergine chunks, green peas, broccoli, sauteed mushrooms and crunchy roasted peanuts for a simple weeknight dinner that is so addictive.
This sticky peanut butter rice is so moreish that I could quite happily eat bowlfuls of it alone, but paired with the juicy aubergine chunks, roasted peanuts and veggies, it creates a satisfying and nourishing plant based dinner that’s packed full of flavour.
It’s no secret that I’m a fan of incorporating peanut butter in to all of my savoury recipes – two of my all time favourites are my roasted peanut butter and tahini aubergine noodle bowl and peanut butter hummus but this rice bowl might just be the best of the 3. The blend of peanut butter and tahini not only adds an incredible rich flavour to this dish, but makes the rice so deliciously sticky, which is what I love most about it.
I love my sticky miso brown rice but this peanut butter variation just might be even more delicious. The miso and tamari add a salty umami flavour, which pairs perfectly with the richness from the peanut butter and the peanut chunks add extra texture and crunch, making it even more satisfying.
The roasted aubergine makes the best addition to this bowl – it works so well at soaking up all of the flavour from the peanut butter miso glaze and is roasted until soft and tender, creating juicy, moreish chunks that are the perfect proof that plant based dinners never have to be bland or boring.
I love bowls like this because they’re so customisable – if you don’t have the exact veggies on hand then feel free to use the rice as a base and add your favourites. Spinach, sweetcorn, pak choi and asparagus all make great additions too. I find that the aubergine is so hearty that it works as a great meat replacement but you could always add black beans, lentils or my black bean and sweetcorn falafels – and if one peanut butter themed recipe wasn’t enough, it makes the perfect pairing for my crunchy peanut butter burgers too.
This bowl is a speedy satisfying supper that I love coming home to after a long day at work – simply roast the aubergine, cook your veggies, stir everything in to the rice and serve. I love mine topped with extra peanut butter (because is there really such a thing as too much nut butter?), a sprinkling of fresh coriander and extra roasted peanuts. And any leftovers make a great lunch box addition the next day too.
I love seeing you recreate my recipes so if you make this, please let me know in the comments below and don’t forget to tag me in your photos on Instagram using @nourishingyas or #nourishingyas.
I’ve been shortlisted for Best Vegan Blog at this years Health Blog Awards – you can vote for me here.
for the roasted peanut butter aubergine
- 1 aubergine
- 1 tsp miso paste
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 and 1/2 tsps maple syrup
- 1 tsp tamari
- 2 tsps peanut butter
for the peanut butter brown rice
- 1 x serving of brown rice, cooked according to package instructions
- 1 tsp tahini
- 1 tsp miso paste
- 1 tbsp tamari
- 1/2 heaping tbsp peanut butter
- handful of roasted peanuts
for the remainder of the bowl
- 1/2 250g pack chestnut mushrooms
- 80g frozen peas
- 80g broccoli
- Pre heat the oven to gas mark 5 and line a baking tray with grease proof paper. Start by preparing the aubergine; combine the tamari, tahini, peanut butter, miso paste, sesame and maple syrup in a small bowl and mix until fully combined.
- Slice the aubergine in half and then slice criss cross lines in to each half and pour over the peanut butter tahini mixture, ensuring that it gets deep down in to the creases. Place in the center of the oven for 25-30 minutes, until tender.
- Whilst the aubergine cooks prepare the rest of the bowl. Add a drizzle of olive oil to a frying pan and set over a medium to high heat. Slice the chestnut mushrooms and once the oil is hot, add them to the pan. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring as little as possible to ensure that they turn golden brown.
- Add the broccoli and peas to a pan of boiling water and cook for 5 minutes, or until tender.
- Add the brown rice to a small pan along with a splash of boiling water and the tamari, tahini, miso paste, peanut butter and roasted peanuts. Stir everything together until fully combined and allow the rice to heat through.
- Drain the broccoli and peas and transfer them to your bowl along with the roasted aubergine, mushrooms and peanut butter rice. Top with a drizzle of tahini, chopped coriander and extra peanut butter. Enjoy!