Chocolate at breakfast time is definitely nothing new for me. I firmly stand by the fact that starting your morning with chocolate has the power to make your day a million times better and this granola is the ideal way to do so – loaded with crunchy oats, caramelised cashews, chocolate chunks and sweet gooey dates, this moreish granola is sure to upgrade any breakfast bowl.
I’m always experimenting with different granola variations, whether it’s dessert inspired flavours like my snickers, oreo or a more traditional fruit and nut option, it’s one of my favourite things to make. And when it comes to chocolate you definitely can’t go wrong, making this batch just as addictive as the rest.
I absolutely love cashew nuts – there’s something about their creamy, rich nutty flavour which I’m completely hooked on. When they’re drenched in a cinnamon, maple and coconut oil coating, they become even more addictive. Alongside the crunchy oats, chocolate chunks and sweet gooey dates they make this batch of granola the best breakfast option.
I have always been a fan of having chocolate for breakfast, whether it was a bowl of coco pops, shreddies or a chocolate croissant and it’s definitely a theme which seems to be translating in to my early adult hood too. I love a bowl of chocolate oats or nice cream – but why stop at the base when you can incorporate chocolate it to the topping too?
You’re likely to already have all of these ingredients for this recipe in the cupboard but one of the reasons why I love making my own granola is that it’s so customisable. I used a mix of different flavoured chocolates including mint, coconut and raspberry and plain dark, but feel free to use whichever is your favourite. And if you don’t have cashews on hand then you could always switch them for your favourite nut and it would be just as good.
My favourite way to enjoy this granola is incorporated as one of the toppings for my rocky road nice cream bowl, but it’s equally as delicious served alone with chilled almond milk and fresh fruit. Although it’s that good that I have been known to sit and eat it with a spoon straight from the jar!
I love seeing you recreate my recipes so if you make this, please let me know in the comments below and don’t forget to tag me in your photos on Instagram using @nourishingyas or #nourishingyas.
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 2/3 cup cashews
- 2 tbsps pumpkin seeds
- 1 and 1/2 tsps cinnamon
- 3 and 1/2 tbsps coconut oil, melted
- 1 and 1/2 tbsps maple syrup
- 1/4 cup chocolate, chopped in to small chunks
- 1/2 cup medjool dates, chopped (or dried fruit of choice)
- Pre-heat the oven to gas mark 4 and line a large baking tray with grease proof paper.
- Add the oats, cashews, seeds and cinnamon to a large mixing bowl and stir until combined.
- Pour over the dry ingredients and stir well, ensuring everything is fully coated.
- Transfer the granola to the baking tray and bake in the center of the oven for 30-45 minutes or until golden brown and fragrant. Make sure to remove from the oven to stir every 5-10 minutes, to ensure that it bakes evenly and doesn’t burn.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool fully before stirring through the dried fruit and chocolate chunks.
- Transfer to an airtight container where it will keep for up to 6 weeks.
- Enjoy alone with chilled nut milk, sprinkled on your nice cream, porridge bowl or as a snack straight from the jar!