Jujube – what?! Before Abakus foods introduced me to their snacks I had no idea that the jujube fruit, more commonly known as red dates, even existed but I have become obsessed. With a chewy texture and sweet taste that can only be likened to marshmallows, they make the best addition to this granola. Rolled oats, nuts and seeds are all baked in a sweet maple cinnamon, and coconut coating before stirring through chewy date chunks and crunchy date crisps, – creating a delicious granola recipe which is the perfect addition to your breakfast bowl.
I love regular dates and they make an appearance in the majority of my recipes, whether it’s stirring them in to a batch of fruit and nut granola, whizzing them up for my peanut butter brownie cheesecake bars or as a topping for my rocky road nice cream bowl. But since discovering red dates, I’ve become completely hooked. Not only are they equally as delicious, but they’re a great source of vitamin C, manganese and iron too.
The red date crisps are probably my favourite – with a crunchy texture and caramelised, toffee like flavour, they’re ridiculously addictive. They make the perfect topping for a bowl of creamy chocolate protein oats, but I incorporate them in to this granola recipe, alongside the soft and chewy original dates for a delicious and versatile breakfast bowl topping.
I’m guilty of saying it countless times but granola really is one of my favourite things to make; not only does it taste a million times better than shop bought, but I love how customisable it is. Feel free to use your favourite nuts and seeds of choice in this recipe or opt for ginger if cinnamon isn’t your thing. And you could always use regular medjool dates or substitute in your favourite dried fruit – raisins, sultanas, mulberries and even dried mango or dried apple would all make great additions too.
Use my code YASMIN15 for 15% OFF your purchase when you order via the Abakus Foods website.*
I love seeing you recreate my recipes so if you make this, please let me know in the comments below and don’t forget to tag me in your photos on Instagram using @nourishingyas or #nourishingyas.
- 2 cups jumbo rolled oats
- 1 cup of mixed nuts and seeds of choice
- 1/4 cup ground almonds
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 4 tbsps coconut oil
- 2 tbsps maple syrup
- 2 tbsps desiccated coconut
- 1 pack Abakus Foods red dates
- 1 pack Abakus Foods red date crisps
- Pre-heat the oven to gas mark 4 and line a large baking tray with grease proof paper.
- Add the oats, nuts, seeds and ground almonds to a large mixing bowl and stir until combined.
- Add the coconut oil to a small pan and set over a low heat and heat until melted. Once melted, add the maple syrup and cinnamon to the pan and stir gently until combined.
- Pour the coconut oil and maple mix over the dry ingredients and stir well, ensuring everything is fully coated.
- Transfer the granola to the baking tray and bake in the center of the oven for 30-45 minutes or until golden brown and fragrant. Make sure to remove from the oven to stir every 5-10 minutes, to ensure that it bakes evenly and doesn’t burn.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool fully before stirring through the desiccated coconut, red dates and red date crisps.
- Transfer to an airtight container where it will keep for up to 6 weeks.
- This granola is the perfect topping for a bowl of creamy vanilla protein nice cream, but it makes a great addition to my rocky road nice cream bowl or is delicious served with chilled nut milk too.
*This post contains products which were gifted to me as part of an Instagram giveaway partnership. I was however under no obligation to include them in this blog post and all opinions remain my own. The discount code provided is not an affiliate code and I will make no income through your use of it – it’s simply a little gift so that you can get the opportunity to try these delicious treats too.