These no bake chocolate hazelnut pretzel protein bars combine 3 of the best things – chocolate, nuts and pretzels to create the ultimate plant based protein bar. A nutty chocolate pretzel bar base topped with a thick layer of chocolate fudge ganache, that’s loaded with hazelnuts and salted pretzel chunks. They’re sweet, salty, fudgey, gooey and insanely addictive.
Chocolate and hazelnut is one of the dreamiest combinations and a real crowd pleaser, but adding pretzels in makes it even more delicious. With a thick layer of rich, fudgey chocolate ganache that’s packed with hazelnut and pretzel chunks, these are far from your average protein bar.
A combination of 2 of my all time favourite recipes, my ferrero rocher protein bars and peanut butter pretzel protein bars – these bars are the absolute dream. Part of makes them so heavenly is my trademark chocolate fudge ganache – these bars feature an extra thick layer that sinks beneath your teeth and it requires just 4 simple ingredients
- Cacao powder
- Coconut oil
- Peanut butter
- And maple syrup
The classic pairing of chocolate and hazelnut is one of my all time favourites and what are the 2 things that instantly come to mind? Nutella and ferrero rochers – whether it’s my nutella granola or a creamy nutella latte, I can’t get enough of this nutty chocolate combo. And these bars match its flavour perfectly, with an extra pretzel twist that makes these anything but your average protein bar.
I made a batch of these decadent bars with Pip and Nut’s chocolate coconut hazelnut butter and they were extra dreamy, so I definitely recommend subbing the nut butter for a plant based Nutella alternative if you can – but they are of course just as addictive made using peanut butter too!
And instead of regular pretzels, I used Indie Bay’s rock salt spelt pretzel bites** for this recipe which I’m currently addicted to. Not only do they provide an amazing salty crunch to these bars which pairs perfectly with the chocolate, they’ve become my go to rocky road nice cream bowl topping, make a great lunch bowl addition and are perfect stirred in to a kale salad too.
Packed with pretzels, peanut butter and plant protein, these bars are the ultimate no bake dessert.
I love seeing you recreate my recipes so if you make these, please let me know in the comments below and don’t forget to tag me in your photos on Instagram using @nourishingyas or #nourishingyas.
makes 9 bars
for the chocolate pretzel protein bar
- 200g dates
- 130g pretzels
- 30g hazelnuts
- 2 tbsps cacao powder
- 1/4 cup and 2 tbsps smooth peanut butter
- 4 tbsps nut milk
- 1 scoop Vivo Life protein powder
for the chocolate hazelnut pretzel ganache
- 7 tbsps coconut oil
- 7 tbsps maple syrup
- 7 tbsps cacao powder
- 5 tbsps smooth peanut butter
- 30g hazelnuts, roughly chopped
- 25g pretzels, roughly chopped
- Line a square baking tin with grease proof paper – this will make it easier to pull out the bars at the end.
- Start by making the protein bar – add the pretzels and hazelnuts to the blender and blitz until they form a flour.
- Add the protein powder, cacao powder, peanut butter, nut milk and dates to the blender along with the hazelnuts and pretzels. Blitz until fully combined. The mix should stick together when you squeeze it between your fingers, if not, add a touch more nut milk.
- Transfer the mix to the lined tin and press down in to an even, compact layer. Place in the freezer to set whilst you make the ganache topping.
- To make the ganache, add the coconut oil to a small pan and set over a low heat until fully melted.
- Once melted, stir in the cacao powder, peanut butter and maple syrup until smooth. Once fully combined, stir in the chopped hazelnuts and pretzels.
- Remove the protein bar from the freezer and pour over the ganache. Return to the freezer to set for 1 hour or until hard.
- Once set, remove from the freezer and leave to thaw slightly before cutting in to 9 equal slices. Store in the fridge, or freezer if you want them to keep for longer. Enjoy!
*This post contains an affiliate link and discount code, but all opinions remain my own.
**Indie Bay very kindly gifted me a selection of their pretzel bites but the decision to include them in this recipe is entirely my own, as are the opinions given. I am genuinely obsessed!