These simple, no bake Vegan Mars Bars are a completely irresistible sweet treat – a chewy, fudgey nougat bar topped with the dreamiest layer of gooey date caramel, all encased in a layer of dark chocolate. I would even go as far as to say that they’re better than the original!
Whether it’s my snickers or bounty bars, I love creating plant based alternatives to all of the classics and Mars bars (known as a milky way bar if you’re based in the states) were next up on the list. One of my childhood favourites – the combination of chocolate, chewy caramel and soft nougat is so addictive.
Undoubtedly the best part of a Mars bar is the iconic nougat base, which I’ve recreated using just 5 simple ingredients
- Ground Almonds
- Cashew Butter
- Maple Syrup
- Chocolate Protein Powder
Which together create a chewy, sticky nougat base that makes these bars so heavenly.
If you’ve ever had doubts about whether plant based desserts can be as good as the ‘real thing’, then these bars will prove that they are in fact even better. Much like my ferrero rocher protein bars, they’re proof that you never have to miss out!
Dates really are one of my favourite ingredients – I love sneaking a layer of moreish date caramel in to most of my recipes, but the one used for these bars is taken to a whole other level thanks to the addition of creamy coconut milk.
These bars are
- And so moreish!
Being the chocolate addicts that we are, between me and my a batch of these definitely didn’t last long. Luckily they’re surprisingly simple to make and require just 10 ingredients, making it ridiculously easy to get your Mars bar fix.
I love seeing you recreate my recipes so if you make these, please let me know in the comments below and don’t forget to tag me in your photos on Instagram using @nourishingyas or #nourishingyas.
makes 5 bars
for the nougat base
- 110g ground almonds
- 30g dates
- 1/2 cup cashew butter
- 2 tbsps maple syrup
- 3 tbsps MissFits Chocolate Protein Powder* (Get £5 off with the code YASMIN5) or substitute extra ground almonds
for the caramel layer
- 150g dates
- 1 tbsp almond butter
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- optional 2 tbsps coconut cream
for the chocolate coating
- 150g dark chocolate
- 3 tsps maple syrup
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- Line a square baking tin with greaseproof paper and set aside – this will make it easier to pull the bars out at the end.
- Start by making the nougat bar. Add all of the bar ingredients to the blender and blitz until the mix comes together. Transfer the mix to the lined baking tray and spread in to an even, compact layer. Place in the freezer to set whilst you make the caramel.
- Make the date caramel by adding the dates, almond butter, coconut cream and vanilla extract to the blender along with 1 tbsp water and blend until smooth and creamy.
- Once smooth, remove the bars from the freezer and spread the caramel in to an even layer. Return to the freezer to set for 2 hours.
- When the caramel is almost set, remove the tray from the freezer and slice in to 5 equal bars.
- Prepare the chocolate coating by adding the chocolate, maple syrup and coconut oil to a small pan and set over a low heat until fully melted. Once melted, remove from the heat.
- Coat each of the bars in a layer of chocolate. Repeat until the bars are coated 2-3 times, depending on your preferred thickness of chocolate.
Return to the freezer to set for 30 minutes. Store in the fridge or freezer if you want them to last longer. Thaw slightly at room temperate before eating, enjoy!
*This post contains an affiliate link and discount code but all opinions remain my own.