Inspired by the classic British dessert, this cherry bakewell granola is the best breakfast bowl topping. Featuring golden baked oats, crunchy flaked almonds, caramelised pecans, juicy dried cherries and that traditional marzipan flavour, it makes breakfast time extra special.
If you’ve never tried homemade granola before then you’re seriously missing out. It’s got to be my favourite thing to bake (I can confidently say that because the majority of my favourite sweet treats are no bake) and it always tastes a million times better than shop bought. Whether it’s my biscoff, nutella or snickers granola, I make sure that every batch is packed with nuts, dried fruit and flavour. With this batch being no exception!
We always had Bakewell tarts in the house growing up and they were one of my favourites. This indulgent tasting granola recreates their flavour perfectly and has quickly become my go to breakfast topping. It’s so easy and simple to make with just 1 bowl and 9 ingredients
- Flaked almonds
- Almond extract
- Dried cherries
- Coconut Oil
- Nut butter
- Maple Syrup
I love dessert inspired nice cream flavours – but why stop at the nice cream itself when you can extend it to the toppings? I love to pair this granola with an indulgent base like my chocolate protein nice cream or add it to my favourite rocky road nice cream bowl alongside a big spoon of nut butter and chopped chocolate, for the ultimate dessert inspired breakfast.
Whilst the almond extract is the secret to recreating that iconic cherry Bakewell flavour, I also added a generous amount of Pip & Nut’s cherry Bakewell almond butter to enhance it further – which if you haven’t already tried already then I highly recommend that you do! Salty almond butter combined with the sweetness of agave syrup, coconut oil, dried cherries and chopped almonds. It’s perfect alongside this granola or swirled in to oats. But feel free to substitute in regular nut butter and if you’re struggling to find dried cherries, then raisins or dates are great too.
This granola is perfect sprinkled on top of my cherry bakewell overnight oats, served alone with chilled plant milk or I have to admit that it’s so addictive that I may have been known to sneak a handful or 2 straight from the jar!
I love seeing you recreate my recipes so if you make these, please let me know in the comments below and don’t forget to tag me in your photos on Instagram using @nourishingyas or #nourishingyas.
makes 1 batch
- 2 cups jumbo rolled oats
- 1/2 cup flaked almonds
- 1/2 cup nuts – I used pecans and almonds
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 4 tbsps coconut oil
- 3 tbsps maple syrup
- 2 tsps almond extract
- optional 3 tbsps Pip & Nut cherry bakewell almond butter
- 1/2 cup dried cherries
- Pre-heat the oven to gas mark 4 and line a large baking tray with grease proof paper.
- Add the oats, flaked almonds, nuts and cinnamon to a large mixing bowl and stir until combined.
- Add the coconut oil to a small pan and set over a low heat and heat until melted. Once melted, remove the pan from the heat and add the maple syrup, almond extract and nut butter, if using. Stir until fully combined.
- Pour the coconut oil and maple mix over the dry ingredients and stir well, ensuring everything is fully coated.
- Transfer the granola to the baking tray and bake in the center of the oven for 30-45 minutes or until golden brown and fragrant. Make sure to remove from the oven to stir every 5-10 minutes, to ensure that it bakes evenly and doesn’t burn.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool fully before stirring through the dried cherries.
- Transfer to an airtight container where it will keep for up to 6 weeks.
- This granola is the perfect topping for a bowl of creamy vanilla protein nice cream, but it makes a great addition to my rocky road nice cream bowl or is delicious served with chilled nut milk too.