These hearty butternut squash and black bean burgers are the perfect autumnal evening meal. Crisp on the outside with a satisfying center, they’re delicious served in a soft wholemean bun and slathered with creamy hummus, mashed avocado and veggies for a satisfying plant based dinner.
These butternut squash burgers are packed with plant protein and fiber from the black beans and chickpeas, making them super satisfying, as well as delicious. They’re baked until crispy on the outside with a soft, moreish center and are packed with flavour thanks to the blend of squash, creamy peanut butter and spices.
Butternut squash is one of my favourite veggies – cutting it up might be the equivalent of a workout, but once that task is out of the way I love to use it to make my Squash, Chickpea and Coconut Curry, add chunks to a kale salad, or blitz it up in to my favourite Roasted Carrot and Butterut Squash soup. But its subtle sweet roasted flavour makes the best addition to these tasty burgers.
These simple burgers come together in one bowl, using just 10 simple ingredients
- Black beans
- Butter beans
- Butternut squash
- Tomato puree
- Herbs and spices
This is my quickest and simplest burger recipe yet but there’s definitely no compromising on flavour. All it requires is
- One bowl
- 10 ingredients
- Add everything to the blender – blitz, shape and bake!
And these homemade burgers are completely customisable too – if you’re not keen on one of the herbs or spices, then you could switch them out for paprika or turmeric. Sweet potato works just as well in place of the squash and you could even add chunks of juicy sundried tomatoes, like in my butter bean and sundried tomato falafels, to make them even heartier.
My favourite way to serve these burgers is in a nutty bun, slathered with creamy hummus, sliced avocado, tomato and a generous layer of crunchy peanut butter – trust me, it’s a game changer. And of course not forgetting a side of sweet potato wedges too!
I love seeing you recreate my recipes so if you make these, please let me know in the comments below and don’t forget to tag me in your photos on Instagram using @nourishingyas or #nourishingyas.
makes 4 burgers
- 1/2 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tbsp peanut butter
- 100g cooked butternut squash
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp ground coriander
- 1 small garlic clove, crushed
- 5 tbsp buckwheat or plain flour
- Pre heat the oven to gas mark 5 and line a baking tray with grease proof paper.
- Add all of the ingredients to the blender and blitz until fully combined – you still want the mix to be a little chunky, not totally smooth.
- Once mixed, divide the mixture in to 4 and using your hands, shape in to burgers and place them on to the baking tray.
- Place in the oven and cook for 30 minutes, until crisp on the outside, flipping over halfway through to ensure that they cook evenly.
- Serve alongside a salad, roasted veggies or in a buddha bowl. But my favourite is in a nutty bun with a thick layer of mashed avocado, creamy hummus, crunchy peanut butter and a side of cinnamon, paprika and coconut sugar roasted sweet potato wedges.
- I like to freeze the leftover burgers and they keep well for up to 3 months. To re-heat, simply thaw in the fridge then place in foil in the center of the oven for 20 minutes or enjoy cold
If you liked this recipe then why not try my Classic Baked Falafels or Peanut Butter Pretzel Buddha Bowl.