It’s not a proper dessert unless chocolate is involved! These chocolate chai infused muffins are a simple, autumnal bake packed with chai spice and most importantly, chocolate. Perfectly spiced, fluffy, moist and so delicious! They’re a quick, simple bake that has quickly become my latest obsession.
My chocolate chip banana bread muffins and pumpkin spice blondies have both restored all faith in my baking skills. Whilst I love a no bake, I can now venture away from solely baking granola without it causing me anywhere near as much stress as it used too! And best of all, it’s resulted in these utterly delicious choc chai mufflns.
I love adding spices to my recipes, some of my favourites include my
- Chai nut butter
- Chocolate Gingerbread Oats
- Gingerbread Choc Chunk Brownies
- Pumpkin Spice Blondies
- Pumpkin Spice Granola
But the chai spice blend has to be my favourite. It’s the best addition to these muffins which are
- Perfectly moist
And they’re so simple to make with just
- One Bowl
- And 9 ingredients
The hardest part is resisting temptation to not eat all of the mixture straight from the bowl! All that’s required is some of my favourite and surprisingly simple plant based ingredients
- Coconut oil
- Lemon juice
- Baking powder
- Cacao powder
- Vanilla extract
- Almond milk
- Chai spice blend
I’ve also made these muffins minus the chai spices and they’re equally as delicious, but you could always substitute pumpkin spice or cinnamon too. Or why not try adding chocolate chips, nuts or dried fruit?
These muffins are delicious served warm with plant based ice cream or custard or cold with yoghurt and berries. And if you’re in a rush then they made a perfect grab and go breakfast too – because who says that you can’t eat cake in the morning?
I love seeing you recreate my recipes so if you make these, please let me know in the comments below and don’t forget to tag me in your photos on Instagram using @nourishingyas or #nourishingyas.
makes 8 muffins
- 1/3 cup vegan butter or coconut oil, melted
- 2/3 cup plant based milk
- 2 tsps lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup buckwheat or plain flour
- 1/4 cup cacao powder
- 1 tsp chai spice mix
- Pre-heat the oven to gas mark 4 and line a muffin tin with 8 silicon or paper muffin cases.
- Add the milk and lemon juice to a large mixing bowl and set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the melted butter and sugar until fully combined.
- Add the butter and sugar to the large mixing bowl along with the vanilla extract, milk and lemon juice and stir until fully combined.
- Add the baking powder, flour, cacao powder and chai spice mix to a sieve and sift in to the mixing bowl. Stir until fully combined.
- Divide the mixture evenly between the muffin cases, until they’re 3/4 full.
- Place the muffins in the center of the oven for 18-20 minutes. Remove the muffins from the oven and place them on a cooling rack. Allow to cool fully before removing them from their cases. Enjoy!